Sat Nav/ GPS help

madmatt

hi Folks,

I am a complete tecnophobe but hoping you good people can help me out, I am after some sort of navigational device for the defender that accepts a 6 figure grid referance as the destination.

I don't know wether such thing exists or what, I want it for work, but I don't work in built up areas and often all I'll have is a six figure grid ref for the site and the name of the nearest village. I need something an idiot can use and preferably doesn't cost the earth. Anyone got any advice?

Cheers

Matt

Any basic GPS will accept a 6 figure grid ref and give you a distance and bearing to that location.

If you want turn by turn directions then TomTom can do that but you will require a 3rd party app to get a grid ref into TomTom as a destination.

Hi

We have been looking at this subject recently and are seriously considering one of these, it comes witha Car adapter and you can down load your maps routes etc etc, its shock resistant, Oil resitant water proof etc etc and has a blue tooth conection to an ear piece for voice commands. its a bit expensive but looks worth it

http://www.garmin.com/zumo/

Hope that helps

PS the car adapter has a speaker as well I think

Sorry for the (slight) hijack, but its sort of relevent.

Does any one know of a program that will run on a pocket PC/PDA and convert Lat&Long to OS Grid refs and vice versa?

If so, where can I get it???

Glue

Thanks Guys, Should I have pointed out before it would be OS grid Refs I get for jobs?

turn by turn directions would be nice, I don't really understand incorporating Tomtom with a 3rd party, I struggle with emails and web on the pc!

cany anyone recommend any specific models to me? I do like the look of that Garmin above but I would think its going to be an awfull lot of money?

Keep the ideas and help coming i really appreciate it

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt, the Garmins accept OS grid references or lat longs. I have found that the mapping on the Garmin 276C(?) leaves a lot to be desired in comparison to the Tom Tom 910. Unfortunately the Tom Tom does not appear to accept OS grid references.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Regards

Leeds

Hi Matt, the Garmins accept OS grid references or lat longs. I have found that the mapping on the Garmin 276C(?) leaves a lot to be desired in comparison to the Tom Tom 910. Unfortunately the Tom Tom does not appear to accept OS grid references.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Regards

Leeds

Hiya Leeds,

Yeah i appreciate that its just being absoluetly useless at this sort of thing I can see me wasting hundreds of pounds and just getting very frustrated LOL!!!

Matt

I use a pocket pc and a gps receiver running tom tom on the road and memory map with os maps. I have another application which lets me download a picture of a route/area from google earth and navigate the picture. Not cheap though.

Starting from scratch a secondhand laptop, a gps card and running autoroute software will give you almost what you want. Unlike the tom tom type units you will have the benefit of being able to see more than 2" of the map. Cheaper too.

my garmin GPS V accepts OS grid refs, and although the software is a couple of years old, its still realy accurate and never lets me down.... i'm not a fan of Tomtom, and would always choose garmin.

you can find a second hand GPS V on ebay, with full europe mapping on a CD for under £100....

alternativly, talk to these guys, the garmins that they've got on clearance for silly money may well accept grid refs.

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/about/page8.html

hope this helps.

I use a pocket pc and a gps receiver running tom tom on the road and memory map with os maps. I have another application which lets me download a picture of a route/area from google earth and navigate the picture. Not cheap though.

Starting from scratch a secondhand laptop, a gps card and running autoroute software will give you almost what you want. Unlike the tom tom type units you will have the benefit of being able to see more than 2" of the map. Cheaper too.

Hi Landmannn, can you give us a few more details etc.

Google earth one sounds interesting. What is it like when the resolution on google earth is only low resolutio. Have been and wil be going to places where the mapping is poor so anything which can help the navigation is of interest.

Regards

Leeds

Google earth one sounds interesting. What is it like when the resolution on google earth is only low resolutio. Have been and wil be going to places where the mapping is poor so anything which can help the navigation is of interest.

Regards

Leeds

I'm not sure how google earth would work. You can seen palm trees in Baghdad. However, my parents house in the UK cannot even be seen. Even their street is hard to determine. A lot seems to depend on big brother and how much interest there was on a particular area.

Regards

Leeds

thanks for the input folks anyone got any other suggestions?

Cheers

Matt