low fuel warning light

ok iv found 2 plugs with 2 wires on each green and black and white and light grey the one from the chassis loom has a single white and purple wire going to it and the one from the bulkhead loom has one wire pluged in to a multy plug also from the bulkhead loom the guage works but no warning light .both plugs are the same so they wont fit together

green and black trace signal from tank sender to fuel gauge

white and light grey trace from tank sender to low fuel level warning light

white and purple trace [not required for in tank fuel pump] this can be left unplugged

what colour code wire is in

the one from the bulkhead loom has one wire pluged in to a multy plug

it's stopped raining now, so I'll have a look on my 110.

Find your 10 way moulded rubber multi plug with the 2 way plug [green/black trace & white/slate grey trace wires] this 2 way [see 2 way plug photo below] fits in the 10 way multi plug as in the 10 way multiplug 1 & 2 photo's below.

as for the white/purple trace find your 8 way multiplug & the white/purple trace fits the upper right as in the photo's below

these should get you sorted, also behind instrument pack is a relay aka low fuel control unit, check it's intact & operates.

post-20-0-02041900-1436705383_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-93306300-1436705394_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-37168500-1436705405_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-83416300-1436705500_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-58452200-1436705513_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

hi western I'm still trying to sort it but no luck can you possibly tell me the exact colour of the wire that the white and grey wire plugs in to on the ten way multiplug (its only a 9 way multyplug on mine) iv scaled the internet for 5 months but they all say green with orange trace but I don't seem to have one .the warning light on the dash also has a white and grey trace . many thanks richard

• 5 years later...

Reviving an old one.. 

I have a white/slate trace that looks broken off.. guessing it’s the low fuel light... however, the double plug as Ralph’s pic above with the white slate and green black, on mine it A doesn’t plug in anyway, Male&female to 2xfemales

and B if it did then the green/ black would marry up but the white slate would marry to a slate/red trace ??

hopefully pic below will explain better than my words lol

Was a 2.5td now a 200tdi 1987

have I got a different look going inside to dash ??

Thanks

042D47D0-9BF9-40B7-9777-1E249BC2D426.jpeg

2432DBC7-41AA-4C26-9874-367D21D406AD.jpeg

Had dash apart now.. again.

it seems white /slate is also at the plug on back of dash bulb. Definitely can’t see a white slate at the 10way multi plug though ?? Strange one.

anyway.. at least pulling the warning panel off did highlight one thing. The printed circuit to the low fuel bulb is knackered 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

so, anyone got a printed circuit going ??

cheers again Ralph 👍

36 minutes ago, western said:

I'mpretty sure there isn't a slate/red or red/slate on the 10 way plug I'll have another look tomorrow, 

A busted printed circuit won't help, 

Blanchards £22 https://pablanchard.co.uk/Printed-Circuit-Board-for-Dash-Warning-Lights-AEU2721

Fairy certain it is on mine.. I’ll check again tomorrow when I’m less frustrated. It’s opposite the green black so would make sense to be part of the 2way plug that goes next to the 8 way in order to make up the 10.

mind you when i took the 2way plug off it obviously wasn’t connected properly due to the m/f on 1 side and the F/F on the other. It had been rotated 90deg in order to connect just the green/blacks together

Printed circuit ordered 

thanks for link 👍

Edited by Chambo110
  • Like 1

White/slate is the low fuel warning light on the dash to the sender. I didn't come across any red/slate wires when I did my rewiring. The closest is white/orange which is a supply from the ignition switch. 

Try earthing the wire at the sender and see if the low fuel light illuminates on the dash when you have connected the wiring up. 

Something not quite right with that 10 way plug Chambo, went and checked mine over. Same as Westerns, 2x 4way connectors and the slate/white and green/black 2 way on the end.

Red/Slate is to do with ABS or engine management light

Slate/Red is transmission temp warning light

• Like 1