90 - 300tdi out, 3.9 in???

Having visited Malta, I'd recommend the auto - town driving there is tricky, with lots of tight junctios and heavy traffic, so an awful lot of gear changing. That's why I bought an auto out here, despite not really liking them. As for the engine, I'd have said go for a VNT and big intercooler on the Tdi to bring up the low RPM torque, but you don't get a lot of deep mud and wading in Malta, so water resistnace is probably a moot point!

Hi guys. So I'm supposed to be taking the 90 in for the engine swap on Tuesday evening. Today, we have problems... I managed to stop the Land Rover without fuel... In the morning it took abut long to start which was already strange enough, then I stopped without fuel as my sender tends to mess around. Managed to get a friend of mine to get me a can of fuel and went home.. About 5-10 mins of driving. Before I made it home, the Landu lost all her power and started missing and puffing out blue/white smoke. Stopped on the side and tried to rev it a it but it just stayed missing badly.. Lots of grey/white/blue smoke. Tried to smell the fumes and it just burns the eyes...a lot!!! Any ideas what the hell it could be as this needs to be fixed by Tuesday night...

It's mostly the same, except for the power to the coil coming from the wire currently used for the fuel injection pump solenoid. Just label all the wires now as you will need to alter a lot of lengths. I don't know about the ECU for the fuel injection. You'll need the electric fuel pump, which should run off a relay triggered by the run position on the ignition switch, ie the fuel solenoid wire.

If you go auto then you need to wire the starter inhibitor switch. I put the strarter wire from the ignition through the inhibitor to a relay with a separate feed for the relay....

You'll also need to figure out the reversing light switch which combined with the inhibitor. ... quite simple but another set of wiring to consider. ...

• 2 months later...

Hey guys..

So some update.. 3.9 is in and running.. In my opinion something is up and not working right.. On a long stretch of road, I floor it and the engine is roaring to go but I can just about overtake a car doing about 75km/hr.. Any idea what it could be?

Last time I checked it was :P Parkers list it as same for Disco manual and auto http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/land-rover/discovery/station-wagon-1989/ . RRC is listed as 10.1s, either way if it feel lethargic and slow it blummin shouldn't with a 10s 0-60 time, in a LR. Actually it should be less with a 1.4 box in it.

And... it's not about power loss, it's about the fact the torque converter helps to get more of the torque to the road initially, and that there is no real drop in acceleration like when using a clutch compared to a manual.

My RRC is under 10s on 33" tyres, with an auto, and a 1.4 box.