Series 1 Daimler 250 any one?

Tinkering with the Landaimver idea to retain S1 classic feel but with more poke, to fit Ashcroft high range and of coarse to have the v8 rumble !

Anybody gone this route? Wondering how the 250 would be made to fit the std clutch and gearbox, if strong enough and so on?

Any ideas appreciated.

Oddly enough, I have found myself pondering over the same thing. The hemi Daimler beats the RV8 hands down on looks but they are as rare as hens teeth. Parts are probably rarer.

Nice project, but the Rover is definitely the sensible choice. If I remember correctly, their origins both date to around the same time

I once had a Daimler V8. Gorgeous car. It would be worth fitting just to listen to it! They mostly fitted to a Borg Warner gearbox which was common in it's day, so there might be a kit somewhere that adapts to/from that? The manual had, I think, a Moss gearbox which is possibly far more rare than the motor. Lots of those Daimlers rusted away - it's just possible you could find a motor taken out of one. So unlikely though.

Thanks guys, no negatives are a good start I guess? Living in New Zealand here are still a good few (rusty)Daimlers around and their value are'nt high at all as kiwi's are into American and Australian classics. I shall explore further on the Moss box and clutch,thanks deep. I would like to fit the engine on the Landy box, as the Daimler is only 2,5l a standard box should hold up isn't?

Just for the sound as you say! Besides the Rover is actually a Buick design(as we all know), the Daimler is English grown!

Any further info really welcome.

I didn't realise you were in NZ. Me too. I sold my Daimler to a friend about twenty years ago and it's still parked in his shed, somewhere north of Palmerston North, "awaiting restoration". I'm long out of it but you could talk to Beacham Cars in Hawkes Bay. They refurbish Mk2 Jags but may occasionally come across Daimlers. I'd imagine anyone with a spare engine would want to hang onto it but you never know.

There are a few conversions available for the SP250 Dart and the V8250 Saloon to a 5 speed box, one of which uses a supra gearbox. Not sure on changeability of toyota stuff but perhaps it's similar to the hilux or surf boxes? One link ffrom .nz - http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/results.php?Menu=8

We have two Daimlers in the family, a SP250 and a V8250, lovely engines. I had considered putting one in my Series 3 landy when I was 18 but I went with the ford V6 instead.

Here is Russ Carpenters drag car running a blown 2.5 Turner V8 just for a bit of inspiration;

https://youtu.be/iRCgKkPFsdI

Be an interesting project if you could find an engine, also worth considering the larger 4.5 V8 engine from the Majestic Major saloon, although these are even rarer.

I'll get hold of them, thanks deep. In Hamilton, cannot believe these conversion guys are right here in my back yard !! Great work thanks task, oh and that motor in your link goes really well , inspiration you say...! Reckon that bug catcher will fit in under the Landy spare wheel ??

My last Series 1 was fitted with a Ford 2.0 litre Pinto. It was pretty much standard so about 100bhp and 115ft/lb but in an 80" it was the mutts nuts. Simple conversion to

Why not just have a wonder round a few scrap yards and see what's about - got to be loads easier to find bits for than the Daimler lump. Also the Daimler lump is only 140bhp and 114ft/lb

2.0ltr Fiat Twin Cam

Alpha V6

Ford V4 2.0litr

Ascona/Manta 2.0litr

Toyota 2.0ltr Twin Cam from a Corrolla

Triumph 2.0litr IL 6

Just been helping a friend who is fitting a 2.0litr Suzuki V6 into a CJ2.... Interesting idea - Suzi drive train as well....