Pyrenees mountains trip

Passing Phase

Have a look here http://vibraction.pagesperso-orange.fr/

I have a few or the road books,the routes are good and easy to follow.

We have done lots in the Pyrenees,Spanish side is better than the French side.

The next trip we are planning will be,spring next year.

Drop me a line for routes in specific areas.

kalujo24@yahoo.co.uk

Marc

We agree with Marc.

We have used roadbooks from Vibraction a few times in 2003 and 2012. The first time with our daughters age 9 and 11, and the second time with some Dutch friends. Very good and easy to follow. Very recommendable.

Inge & Lars

Have a look here http://vibraction.pagesperso-orange.fr/

I have a few or the road books,the routes are good and easy to follow.

We have done lots in the Pyrenees,Spanish side is better than the French side.

The next trip we are planning will be,spring next year.

Drop me a line for routes in specific areas.

kalujo24@yahoo.co.uk

Marc

Thanks for that Mark when I have worked out were we are heading Iwill drop you line probably looking at the smuggling routes around Andora

There are only about 6 roads in and out of Andorra, three of them are main roads with customs/passport control. At least two of the other three are 'smugglers' routes - rough tracks, no authorities - and they are all marked on Googlemaps. 5 minutes 'homework' will find them. ;)

Just in case, if you were thinking of 'smuggling' anything, I *almost* always meet Guarda Civils patrolling when I use these tracks, so be advised. IIRC limits are 200 fags and 1l spirits (yes, the 3l bottle of JD in the supermarket is tempting!). Best you find out before travel. I always leave Andorra with a full tank of fuel, it is usually super cheap but be warned that the quality of the fuel may not be what you are used to. It works fine but I get black smoke, not helped by altitude.

Have fun

Chris

wikiloc.com has a lot of Pyrenean routes, and if you can get the 25k mapping for Spain then you will find loads of routes - most white roads are unmade and drivable. I use ViewRanger on my iPad and you can buy a Pyrenees map for not too much money...

Chris

As GBMUB said there arn't many smugglers routes into Andorra, though the one from Alins up through Tor is worth doing.

The other one I would recomend goes from Tirvia over a couple of passes,ending up at Os de Civis in Andorra.

If you order RB 3 from Vibraction,that is a great 3/4 day tour through the Val d' Arran which finnishes on the smugglers pass from Alins to Andorra.

A deviation on that track worth a look,when you leave Tor & start the climb,there is a bridge over the river on your right.Take this track,it will take you up to a little refuge built into the hillside & comes out round the back of the saddle,see if you can spot the abandoned series 2 forward control.

Enjoy.

Marc

As GBMUB said there arn't many smugglers routes into Andorra, though the one from Alins up through Tor is worth doing.

The other one I would recomend goes from Tirvia over a couple of passes,ending up at Os de Civis in Andorra.

If you order RB 3 from Vibraction,that is a great 3/4 day tour through the Val d' Arran which finnishes on the smugglers pass from Alins to Andorra.

A deviation on that track worth a look,when you leave Tor & start the climb,there is a bridge over the river on your right.Take this track,it will take you up to a little refuge built into the hillside & comes out round the back of the saddle,see if you can spot the abandoned series 2 forward control.

Enjoy.

Marc

Hi Marc I have just found the Vibraction maps do they translate well are they easy to follow I have a limited grasp of French cheers Kevin

If you can find any books in the series by Santi Flaquer, 'En Coche por la Montaña' (also titled in Catalan, En Cotxe per la Muntanya), they have great roadbook type routes for the Pyrenees, I had a quick Google buy failed to find much. I guess they are out of print.

Chris

Hi Marc I have just found the Vibraction maps do they translate well are they easy to follow I have a limited grasp of French cheers Kevin

Hi Kevin

Tha Vibraction books are all in French,but the info on the actual roadbook routes are all symbols which are pretty self explainitary.

Though the distances are marked in Kms not miles.I use a Terratrip which makes counting down the distances very easy and accurate.

Having said that,the first time I used a RB,I spent a couple of evenings converting all the distances into miles,then used the mileometer on my truck to measure the distances,not exact but there were only a couple of instances when we missed the turning.

The Vibraction RB's have lots of other info in them,like hotels,campsites,resteraunts etc.

I would recommend getting RB3,it has everything form forest tracks to high mountain passes with views like you won't believe.

Go for it you wont be dissapointed.

Marc

post-10155-0-28231600-1451134249_thumb.jpg

post-10155-0-81634900-1451134339_thumb.jpg

Good to here it's come,& your excited.

A few translations that will help.

S.P.R.P. = Follow the main small route.(there may be more than one route,follow the most obvious one)

S.P.P.=Follow the main route.

Barriére passage canadien partail.= Gate with cattle grid.

V.T.T = Mountain bike.

On page 87,instruction 229 says not to take the right turn over a bridge crossing the river.Its worth a detour up this track which takes you to a refuge,see if you spot the abandoned Series 2 forward control.Then comes out at the saddle,Instruction 230.

:):)

Enjoy,

Marc

If your sailing into Santander,it's worth a detour to the Picos de Europa,about 1/2 hour south of Santander.

Head for Potes,good camp site just outside of Potes,can't remember the name,but if you want it I could root it out.

There is the famous Jeep track from Espinama to Sotres.Not too technical but good all the same.

Marc

Hi, Kev,

If you decide you want to visit the Picos before heading for the Pyrenees,head for Le Hermida,then on to Potes.This route will take you up through an absolutely stunning gorge(tarmac).The best campsite,IMO in Potes is http://www.campinglaviorna.com/actividades.html

Not he cheapest but spotlesly clean with a good resteraunt & little shop that sells all the esentials & maps of the Picos.

The official jeep track goes from Espinama to Sotres,but a better route we found starts at Mogrovejo but comes out on the same track from Espinama,it's a bit more technical.

It's then up to you which route you would want to take for the start of RB3 at Fos.

Marc

If your sailing into Santander,it's worth a detour to the Picos de Europa,about 1/2 hour south of Santander.

Head for Potes,good camp site just outside of Potes,can't remember the name,but if you want it I could root it out.

There is the famous Jeep track from Espinama to Sotres.Not too technical but good all the same.

Marc

Lovely area! Only been a short way up the Sotres end of (probably) that trail as a passenger in a Land Rover. We were looking for a middle entrance to a large cave system that starts up in the mountains there and comes out down in the Urdon Gorge near Tresviso, and wild camping near the end of the trail (the area is now part of a national park and wild camping is illegal - there are rangers).