Soren's Budget Single-Seater Crawler

At long last parts have arrived! A bit of bad timing though as I'm currently in the middle of prepping the Disco for MOT on Thursday. But just couldn't resist doing just a tiny bit to it, so slapped in the piston and torqued up the big-end :)

First time I've used a hoseclamp for compressing the rings :o I've always used my old mans ring compressor tool, but it seems to have evaporated from the face of the earth! And as I'm no longer working as a Bike mechanic I couldn't even borrow one from my job.. So had to resort to a more Redneck method ;) Worked out just fine though :)

WP_20160912_17_34_48_Pro.jpg

I'm glad you guys are so confident in my mechanical abilities, however I'm pretty sure i'll have to disappoint you on those techniques :P

After changing a TRE on the Disco and washing it, I finally got a couple of minutes on this, and got the worst part over with, namely fitting that pesky oilpan! I've always hated fitting and removing oilpans, impossible to see what you're doing, guaranteed oil in the sleeves, always some bolts that are hard to get to/stock/rounded off. And its tiring on the arms.. Well enough wining, I got it all done and the rest of the job is on the topside!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have been busy tuning and testing this thing lately.. And sadly the carb isn't as tolerant to steep angles as I'd hoped! Actually when banked hard to the left (about 40 degrees) It would actually poor petrol directly into the venturi even with the fuel pump and engine turned off! :o

Well no use in sitting down to cry, so thought of something I once read on Hardlinecrawlers (where all the RockBouncers go) and decided this was the perfect time to try it. Someone asked how on earth they where able to run holleys, webers etc on those steep angles without spitting and sputtering. The answer was quite simple and brilliant, they simply tap in a port just above the float level and connect it to an oldschool facet type pump, then when the fuel level rises it pumps the excess back into the tank, and when in normal operating conditions it just doesn't move anything but air, but this sort of pump doesn't rely on the fuel for cooling or lubrication.

And boy does it work! Smooth idle and throttle response at the exact same spot where it would die out before! :i-m_so_happy:

WP_20160922_19_58_49_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/09/2016 at 7:33 PM, Soren Frimodt said:

I'm glad you guys are so confident in my mechanical abilities, however I'm pretty sure i'll have to disappoint you on those techniques :P

After changing a TRE on the Disco and washing it, I finally got a couple of minutes on this, and got the worst part over with, namely fitting that pesky oilpan! I've always hated fitting and removing oilpans, impossible to see what you're doing, guaranteed oil in the sleeves, always some bolts that are hard to get to/stock/rounded off. And its tiring on the arms.. Well enough wining, I got it all done and the rest of the job is on the topside!  

I have often thought that perhaps some of those vets arm length rubber gloves would be a useful addition to a tool box....if a little weird looking

looks awesom Soren, and looks like it goes as well as it looks too...... have fun

• 4 weeks later...

hehe yeah whats next.. :D To be honest I don't really have anything particularly planned for it, for now its getting a good once over and then put under a tarp outside next to the garage for winter storage. Having spend so much time on this means other things have been neglected somewhat.. I think this winter the 80" will get most of my attention, have a throw-out bearing that sounds very dry, and while I'm in there I have an idea of lightening the flywheel a bit to get a quicker throttle response. And if I really feel on top of things I have some rust in the Disco to mess with :D

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I've dragged this thing back into the shed again. Which is much too soon according to my own plans :D Wasn't going to touch it anymore this year :o 

Well to heck with the plans, as long as I'm having fun I shouldn't complain :)

Since I build it I've been rather annoyed that I couldn't fit any of my other tyres, without having to swap rims. So I really wanted to convert it to LR bolt pattern. However I couldn't really see any other solution than to get some spacer-adaptors made, and that's always surprisingly costly, so that wouldn't work with the budget theme :D

Well I decided to have a deeper look at my options, and hey presto, there is another way, which I can do all by myself, in my own tools and it won't cost me anymore than some (a lot) of my time :D

I will let the pictures do the talking, and if you haven't got a clue whats going on, give me a shout :)

WP_20161127_15_53_05_Pro.jpgWP_20161127_17_50_41_Pro.jpgWP_20161127_17_53_37_Pro.jpg

So I finally gave in to the higher powers of laziness, and converted my lockers to be air operated. Really liked the dependability and simplicity of the hydraulic controls, but most admit that having to pull that lever every time I wanted to lock the axles was quite tiring (had the same problem on the Mog 404 back in the day)

I had this portable 12v compressor I had made that I wanted to utilize, yet still have it being portable, so two wingnuts hold it on the car, and some HD alligator clips makes the electric connections. Well see for yourself right here:

WP_20161205_19_55_34_Pro.jpg

On the following picture the two switches circled in blue is for turning on/off the compressor and activating the lockers, I still control which locker to engage on the two ball valves:

WP_20161205_19_47_28_Pro.jpg

9 hours ago, Tal said:

would be fascinated to see how you built your own compressor

Nothing too exotic I'm afraid, just an old 230v mini kompressor with a dead Electric motor from the scrapheap. Fitted with a twin cylinder Britpart 12v pump. I do have a complete AC pump OBA kit from the JWH, but I can't really be bothered feddling with bracketry and extra pulley on the crank. And I don't think my demand for air is big enough to justify that sort of setup, well not yet at least :)