Thermotop timer/remote/switch query

Anderzander

I'm pondering what the most practical switch is for a thermotop. Most of the re-furbed kits come with the same aftermarket 7 day timer.

Which I guess if great if you leave for work at the same time everyday. I wonder if these have any battery implications though ?

I've also seen mention of GSM remotes - so you can text the start. I can imagine I might forget to do that though or forget to turn it off.

Any experiences or thoughts welcome in considering the options ....?

Yes, GSM controlled switches are around but I am not happy with the sort of other use these devices have.

Various options.

We have a separate battery for heating, lights etc. A very - as in BIG - HD thing that powers everything not engine starting related and has never let us down, even on weeks of camping & heating. But they do use a few amps and will eventually drain any battery. We have the batteries inside and heated - gives them much more power in the cold - and have a coolant heater so we never ever have start problems.

On the other vehicles we use cheap winch remote controls and that works fine. About 50 mtrs. range.

I read there are somewhere WiFi ECU / PLC's for 12 volt applications but know nothing about them - what we have works for us.

I have the Webasto timer - and connected the manual start button contacts to a garage door remote opener which works pretty well. The remote is small enough to live on your key-ring and gives 25m range.

On a cold morning, the engine being hot saves more battery power than the heater uses in heating it up - least I reckon it does!

Si

I've got a Telestart (which is the key fob button type) on mine and with new batteries it has a fair old range on it, I recently acquired a 7 day timer too as the standard Webasto loom comes with two control plugs to allow you to install two forms of controllers at the same time. I thought about installing the timer but I'm holding off as there's no real need for me to have it just now.

The telestart is great, I leave my keys on the bedside table (yes that could sound odd) but I just blip the fob as soon as I get up and by the time I've had a shower the trucks nice and warm for its drive to work.

One of the best bits of kit I've installed.