I need a favour

Shackleton

I'm like the post king around here lately - sorry!

If anyone with a 3.9EFI and and standard exhaust could do me a favour it would mean a lot to me (as in I'd be twice as condifent that I could get the RaRo mobile again by the end of the weekend).

There's a join in the exhaust system just short of the back box - I can't remember whether it's before or after the big rise to clear the rear axle. My whole problem by the way is that the RR is 40 miles away so I've no access before the weekend.

Anyway just to make the exhaust fit I reckon I need to ditch the back box from this join back and I'll just replace it with a straight tube - assuming the join is after the rise.

Could anyone please measure the tube size I'll need to source?

PRETTY PRETTY please

60mm puts it about 2.5" which is what I'd guess at from my very brief encounters with a 3.9 system.

2.5" was my guess too, but it's a bit less than that - more like 2 1/3". 2.5" would be 63.5mm. Mind, I did measure it in the dark with a tape measure, and it is a pattern part...

Trying to fit Fridges 3.9 system to his 3.5.

Had to cut one of the studs off the exhaust manifold to get the old system off. Then had to take the manifold off to cut out the mangled stud. Fitted front section, back section wouldn't line up. Refitted front section again. Got back section lined up, all fitted, but blowing manifold gasket (fitted the wrong way round). All sorted, not blowing, middle cross member wouldn't fit. Thought it might fit if I fitted it first. Exhaust off again, cross member in, exhaust back on...wont fit. Maybe a 3.9 cross member? Exhaust off again, cross member out....looks like it should fit on after the exhaust, so exhaust back on, cross member in....cross member wont fit on chassis.

Gave up, got a 3.5 system instead.

:S

Anyway just to make the exhaust fit I reckon I need to ditch the back box from this join back and I'll just replace it with a straight tube - assuming the join is after the rise.

Ditch the back box and fit a 90 deg elbow to bring it out of the side wing. This is the only phot of mine i could find that showed the postion.

1winchfroxfield2.jpg

Very odd!

I fitted the 3.9 system and realised it wouldn't pass the mid cross member - so I pulled the early member and replaced it with the one from the 3.9. Why wouldn't yours fit? Sure you have to bolt it up with 6 bolts rather then the 8 unless you weld a flange onto the late item or drill holes in the early chassis rails but they're location bolts rather then stressed members.

And fine I'm having problems in that even though the zorst is now clearing the cross member it's fouling the gearbox but I reckon if I dump the back box - which is stopping me from backing up the system cause it's right up against the trailing edge of the rear wheel arch - then I should be able to 'fondle' it into a workable position.

Ditch the back box and fit a 90 deg elbow to bring it out of the side wing. This is the only phot of mine i could find that showed the postion.

1winchfroxfield2.jpg

:) I LIKE that... :) What's it like for noise/MoT?

Very odd!

I fitted the 3.9 system and realised it wouldn't pass the mid cross member - so I pulled the early member and replaced it with the one from the 3.9. Why wouldn't yours fit? Sure you have to bolt it up with 6 bolts rather then the 8 unless you weld a flange onto the late item or drill holes in the early chassis rails but they're location bolts rather then stressed members.

And fine I'm having problems in that even though the zorst is now clearing the cross member it's fouling the gearbox but I reckon if I dump the back box - which is stopping me from backing up the system cause it's right up against the trailing edge of the rear wheel arch - then I should be able to 'fondle' it into a workable position.

Would have 'persuaded' it to fit, but the zort was stainless so couldn't bend it, weld it back together, and it was too nice to chop up anyway!

Would have 'persuaded' it to fit, but the zort was stainless so couldn't bend it, weld it back together, and it was too nice to chop up anyway!

I'm about to do a chop up job on a nice stainless exhaust :ph34r:

It sticks out too far at the back so it needs a little 'tidying' for what I use my truck for. Since I've got to go to the trouble of getting someone else to weld it for me, I'm doing it properly with an elbow so it side exits through the wing.

Just thought I'd post this as reference RE the whole early/late crossmember thing...

This is the late 'shaped' cross member transplanted into my '73 - the exhaust now clears it with planty of space.

You can see just dissappearing out of the top of the shot that the exhaust is fouling a bolt on the gearbox and there's damn all I can do about it save have the exhaust modified.

post-1811-1164652343_thumb.jpg

You can see just dissappearing out of the top of the shot that the exhaust is fouling a bolt on the gearbox and there's damn all I can do about it save have the exhaust modified.

How fussy are you about your exhaust? I'm thinking mark the spot, drop that exhaust section off, lay a nice round log or similar over the mark and belt with a big hammer...

:D I wish it were that simple...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not to fussed about it fouling at the moment - I'm gonna have a custom SS job made asap so it can wait. In any case I reckon if the gearbox wasn't there it'd rise even more. As in it's seriously pressing against the 'box so it's not rattling - out of sight out of mind.

I am a little concerned about it overheating the box though. And if I used your log treatment I'd be seriously affecting the performance of the exhaust for the amount I need to heave it in.