110 rear calipers onto a 90

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if a set of 110 rear calipers will fit my 90?

It's got an axle off a 300 tdi disc on it.

If they don't fit what needs modding to make it work? Also from my understanding once they're on I then use 90 front discs on the rear, is this correct?

Cheers,

Joe

On rationalised vehicles 110s use same diameter discs front and rear (though generally vented on front), however 90s have smaller diameter discs on the rear as did Discos. So to swap 110 calipers on you'd need to swap the discs as well as the smaller calipers will not fit the larger discs or vice versa.

You wouldn't gain much and you'd potentially dangerously affect the braking balance. Funnily enough Land Rover knew what they were doing and hence the 90 rears are smaller for a reason.

If it's for some off-road only or custom application however then that's of course different.

I use the 90 a lot at work for towing livestock, hay etc. The brakes are down right shabby, I replaced the mc not that long ago which improved things but they're still not to good.

The axles have been bastardised many times and the whole truck is made of bits of this and bits of that which doesn't help.

I've just acquired some fresh axles off a 300 disco to go under it for a fresh start and was wondering about the 110 calipers to give the brakes some extra oomph, the 110 at work stops very nicely!

Seems it may not be worth it though.

Am I right though that the calipers will fit and that once they're fitted you use front discs on the rear?

If the brakes feel weak, it won't be because of lack of 110 calipers on the back -time to fault find elsewhere.

Servo? Front pads/discs conditions? Duff wheel bearings? Pedal adjustment? I know you replaced the master cylinder, but did it come in a blue box, or was it a proper OE fitment?

110/130 rear calipers as fitted to a salisbury axle are not the same as those fitted to the 90/discovery or Range Rover.

On a salisbury the caliper is bolted to a mounting bracket which in turn is bolted to the rear axle casing using 2 of the bolts which retain the stub axle. The part No of that caliper is STC1268 or 1269 dependent upon handedness.

The rear caliper from the 90 etc of a similar era is STC1264/stc1265 which has been superceded by SMC500110/smc500240

For the later (short nose) 110 rear axle fitted from some time around 2001 the rear caliper part No is SMC500260 or SMC500270 (handed again)

So apparently the 110/130 has always had different rear calipers

If your brakes are already weak there is also the possibility that fitting the rear calipers from a 110/130 will make them even weaker because of the additional amount of brake fluid that the larger pistons will need in order to move them

Another thing to take into consideration is the possibility that front/rear discs have different offsets. I know I was supplied a set of 90 rear discs in erroe and whilst it was possible to bolt them to the salisbury axle on the back of mine the offset was out by some margin.

The front solid discs on a 110 are also fitted to the front of a RR and Discovery but all rear discs have different part nos so it is doubtful that it is possible to substitute one for the other.