200 tdi oil pump

Apologies if this is covered else where but I have searched to no avail.

My 200 tdi has poor oil pressure and I have a spare engine to be rebuilt as cash allows.

In the mean time I thought it might be an idea to invest £50 in an oil pump. Question is can I fit the pump by just removing the sump with the engine in situ or does the ladder have to come off?

Thanks

Yes , pretty simple from what a mate said when he had to do his a couple of weeks ago . His was a failed pump drive that showed as a few weeks of oil light taking longer and longer to go out , then full failure with light on all the time

cheers

Steveb

The pump has to come off to allow the ladder to be removed, so it's the easy way around for your task.

It is possible that the pump pressure is low, most likely from debris trapped in the pressure relief valve or scoring of the tube or piston of said valve, but worn crank bearings are more likely. Drop the ladder and you'd be able to check the main and big end bearings; it's worth a look if you're already swapping the oil pump. The bearings are meant to be sacrificial, so you might be luck and get good pressure with new bearings and no crank work - that was the case for my Tdi rebuild. The big ends and main bearing lower shells are fitted with the crank in place, and I think you'd be able to slip the old top shells out and new in with a little downward pressure on the crank (don't pull too hard as you'll damage the seals at either end).

Thanks I appreciate the replies.

I agree that the crank bearings are a likely cause, but as I have a spare engine to be rebuilt I'm just looking for some improvement in oil pressure to keep this one going without having to remove the ladder.

Does any one know if the procedure for an 'in situ' oil pump change detailed some where?

thanks again Mark

The ladder is only held on by three more sump type bolts and the four rear bolts through the bell housing. It'd take five minutes to remove, and with cleaning up the joints before adding sealant, ten minutes to refit.

The ladder is only held on by three more sump type bolts and the four rear bolts through the bell housing. It'd take five minutes to remove, and with cleaning up the joints before adding sealant, ten minutes to refit.

Thanks for this Snagger, don't the rear bolts need the gearbox to be dropped before they are accessible?

Thanks for this Snagger, don't the rear bolts need the gearbox to be dropped before they are accessible?

On a Discovery, they go through the gear box bell housing too. I'm not sure about on a Defender (I have a Discovery unit in my 109), but I suspect it's similar.

Thanks Ralph,

Do you know if the procedure to remove the oil pump is detailed somewhere?

Sump drain and off, undo the two bolts securing the pump to the block and lower it out. Refitting will need a new gasket.

• Like 1

On a Discovery, they go through the gear box bell housing too. I'm not sure about on a Defender (I have a Discovery unit in my 109), but I suspect it's similar.

Thanks Snagger, I'm told that on a Defender they are only accessible with the box off, guess I will need to look less any body with a 200tdi Defender knows for a fact?

Sump drain and off, undo the two bolts securing the pump to the block and lower it out. Refitting will need a new gasket.

Sounds simple, what can go wrong LOL