Salisbury half shafts?

Hello,

I am in possession of a set of half shafts but i don't know what make they are for sure.

I bought them with ashcroft HD flanges but it doesn't show any marks on the shaft itself wether they are ashcroft, cam diff or stock or...

-short is 660 mm, long is 980mm.

-30mm diameter of the shaft

-they don't have a place where an oil seal should fit on

some photo's:

10wn09z.jpg

hwg8zo.jpg

I am guessing they are for the early type axles with drum brakes.

Can anyone say for sure and does somebody have an idea if they are stock shafts or a HD make?

Thanks in advance!

Thibaut

Only looking at the pics, Ralph, from what I can see there may be a very early 10 spline versions of the salisbury, with drums, which are 10 spline, but there are definitely drum-ed 24 spline axles out there, or KAM wouldn't be making them with and without the oil seal bands: http://www.kamdiffs.com/products-2/heavy-duty-shafts/

To the OP, the lengths marry up with 'up to '94 drum braked Salisbury axle'

• Like 1

Hello,

Thanks for your advice!

The shafts are indeed 24spline on each side.

I am guessing they are original shafts because other from the S and 2 mark on the shafts I couldn't find any number or brand name on them. But then again i'm in doubt because I thought that ashcroft's drive flanges could only be used with their half shafts or am I wrong?

Thanks!

T

They look very much like drum braked rear shafts, as used with the 4-pin diffs fitted to early V8 Ninetys, also available as a HD axle option in other engine configurations.

I have a pair in my garage :D

No. You are talking about Rover style axles. These are for Salisbury.

I thought that ashcroft's drive flanges could only be used with their half shafts or am I wrong?

No, they are standard 24 spline. Drive flanges on all "Defenders" are 24 spline regardless of the axle splines.

You can be pretty much 100% certain they are stock Land Rover drum braked Salisbury shafts.

No, they are standard 24 spline. Drive flanges on all "Defenders" are 24 spline regardless of the axle splines.

You can be pretty much 100% certain they are stock Land Rover drum braked Salisbury shafts.

Allright! Thanks for your answer. I can't use them because i bought them for the flanges to fit on my ashcroft nsr shafts for Discovery 1 but they don't fit...

I'll put them back up for sale but don't realy know the value of those salisbury halfshafts..

No. You are talking about Rover style axles. These are for Salisbury.

Indeed I am talking early Rover axle, 24 spline both ends ;)

Other than the title in which the OP asks whether these could be Salisbury shafts, there is no indication that these came from a 90 or 110, Rover or Salisbury axle.

I'll see if I can get to the shafts to measure them.

Other than the title in which the OP asks whether these could be Salisbury shafts, there is no indication that these came from a 90 or 110, Rover or Salisbury axle.

I'll see if I can get to the shafts to measure them.

He provided the lengths and I provided a link to a chart showing that they are Salisbury shafts.

In addition.... Rover axle, 24 spline, early shafts have "HD" stamped on the ends. Also Rover HD shafts are 29 mm. Salisbury are 30 mm as he stated above.

All Salisbury half shafts are 24 spline, including the earliest SIIIs. I believe the short shaft is similar in length on the SIII and the 110 axles and is interchangeable (due to the diff housing being a little more central on the SIII).