Chirpy 300tdi

Tonk

got a prob with a def 300tdi, fan belt seems to chirp horribly, changed the serpentine belt and it still does it, so i changed the water pump, started it up and complete silence, drove it down the road and within 5 miles its back worse than ever.

anyone got any ideas? am i barkin up the right tree?

all pulleys seem to be inline as they should be and everything is standard.

You can get oil (WD40) into the tensioner bearing - be sure to avoid the belt - without removing the tensioner from the engine. IIRC someone (Bogbuster?) mentioned being able to replace the bearing in these units with a properly sealed one for very little cost - I would be interested to hear details too if it was someone who still comes here.

Chris

I have changed a few tensioner bearings as follows:

1) Remove fan belt

2) Remove tensioner pulley, remember the bolt has a left-hand thread

3) You need to remove the 'irremovable' circlip. Either drill or chip away a bit of the pulley so that you can get a small screwdriver behind it

4) Using sockets various and either a vice or a lump hammer, get the old bearing out.

5) Ditto to put new bearing in. Only hammer the outer ring of the bearing

6) Refit circlip, or throw it away, the bearing can't fall out anyway

7) Refit pulley and fan belt

The bearing is a very standard 6203 2RSR (= two rubber sealing rings)

and my 300tdi has four of them, one as above, two for the air con idlers and one at the front of the Lucas/Marelli A127 Alternator.

The difference in price is amazing: the bearing is cheap, about R24 = 2 quid and last I heard LR here wanted R1600 !! for the replacement tensioner and pulley. (ERR4708) I always carry a spare as they don't seem to like water much - even a pressure wash of the engine can cause them to quickly fail.

As Jim says it is a sealed 6203 bearing - they are commonly found as motorbike wheel bearings so try a bike shop for a "generic" 6203. My old Yamaha XT350 has them on the rear wheel.

If wading etc is on the agenda it might be as well to carefully dig the sealing ring out and stick a bit more grease into the new one before it is fitted.

I have had Tweety Pie jammed in the fan belt on both my 300Tdi's, on mine it is caused by dirt in the belt from where I wash the underneath of the vehicle off by giving it a good blast through a disused quarry, but the dirty water gets into the belt and then squeals when it dries out.

You can take the belt off and clean it but as I would get bored of doing this about once a week I have a small container of very fine graphite powder in the garage (the stuff used for lubricating padlocks, available from hardware stores) a quick puff of this onto the belt while the engine is running and it shuts up! There is so much grip on a 300 serpentine belt that there is no problem with the belt slipping and it usually lasts about a month or so before needing re-treatment. Container of graphite costs about 50p and does it loads of times so about 1p a treatment isn't bad value! You can also carry it with you as an instant cure for if it starts squawking!

Don't try and lubricate the belt with anything wet. I, or people I know, have tried just about every substance known to man (it's a dusty environment here in the summer so if you are following another vehicle on a gravel road you can get the same problem with grit in the belt) and anything that will dry out (WD40, oil, soapy water, furniture polish, proper belt dressing....) will last about 5 min and then make it squeak even more!

Don't try and lubricate the belt with anything wet - anything that will dry out (WD40, oil, soapy water, furniture polish, proper belt dressing....) will last about 5 min and then make it squeak even more!

Concur with this - experienced same problem squawk on a friends Disco 1 a couple of weeks back and gave the tensioner a judicious squirt of WD40.....silenced it for about 30 minutes, then I was horrified when it came back with avengeance and I simply couldn't silence it. Happily the Disco was due for a belt change and the tensioner was replaced as part of the kit. Will remeber the graphite trick for the next time!

See this alot...

Other tips that might help.

Poor a small amount of water on the belt with the engine running, if squeakin stops its the belt, if it does not its a bearing.

If it's the belt remove belt discard, but before fitting new item, clean the pulleys carefully to remove all wax depoists and any other bits caught in there.

Do not spray with wd40 as this just makes it worse.

Becareful with the tensioner, often the problem is not so much the bearing but the shoulders the bearing fit upon being worn.

Also look between the the sprung sections of the tensioner, there should be a plastic spacer, if this is worn away bin the tensioner and start afresh.

Landrover do an anti-squeal belt...

However it is very expensive, The cheap way go and buy the correct length belt made by GATES, Squeak much less than the orginal dayco version.

Hope this helps

Jim :)

Landrover do an anti-squeal belt...

However it is very expensive,

..and F all use!

have had them on both mine and when they get dirty, they squeak :angry:

PQS000030 for early 300Tdis with big alternator pulley (replaces ERR3287)

PQS000040 for later 300Tdis with small alternator pulley (replaces ERR5911)

BTW a fairy liquid bottle is good for squirting water accurately for the "water test"

Just don't hit the fan or you'll get wet :blink:

The belt on my 300tdi has never squealed, and I am now on my third (I think). Concensus here is that the squealing is caused by misalignment of the pulleys. This can be checked with the Mk 1 eyeball, and washers can be inserted to get the pulleys to line up perfectly.

I can't guarantee this will work, as I have not had to do it :rolleyes:

Reedx: nice pictures and description of the job. You don't have to remove the tensioner itself to do it, and as I said, in my case I had no time to waste trying to refit the unnecessary circlip, so I didn't. It can be a bugger to get out - being designed to not allow removal, and by that time it's not worth trying to re-use it. As you can't buy the damn thing anyway...

Changing the bearings in the aircon idlers is very similar. They are also a one-piece replacement from LR and expensive.

Forget all this nonsense about spraying various chemicals onto the belts/pulleys. It will work for a few days/weeks but the squeel always comes back again. I have had this problem on both my 300Tdi's (Defender & Disco) and despite trying new tensioner pulleys, new ancillary pulleys, so called anti squeel belts, etc, the only solution I found that actually works Permanantly is to place a 1mm thick washer at the 9 o'clock position, between the tensioner housing and the coolant pump support bracket. What this does to the belt Im not sure but it has definately worked on both my vehicles and has had no undesireable effects.

Cheers

Log