New chassis

What the man says.

I have a HD chassis sitting outside that awaits modification before being dipped.

No sense in not galvanizing it when you are doing a swap.

Depending on where you live, there are legal issues to consider so going to Marsland / Richards or the likes and getting one with an invoice is something to consider.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I was thinking of getting the cheaper new puma chassis and getting it galvanised myself - works out a few hundred quid cheaper - they can supply an invoice - but not sure if it's worth the hassle over going to say marsland

I'm sure RichardsChassis are good but I'm not keen on the construction method - must be better having metal formed in a big press (like gkn do) rather than welding flat plate into a c section?

For the sake of a few hundred quid it's got to be easier to let Marslands do the modifications for you surely?

Engine mounts, radiator mounts, gearbox mounts etc. all have to be modified. Marslands do it all so everything is pretty much a straight swap.

Having had a standard black chassis last for nearly 30 years, I am not convinced about the value of galvanising a chassis. Realistically are you going to keep the car that long? will we still be allowed personal transportation in 30 years time?

Good point.

For me, I have just started a major overhaul on a '62 vehicle which and had the chassis welded, blasted & galvanized in the early '90s. No rust, no problems, nothing. Like the galvanized bulkhead it was a good investment.

Hope to be cremated in the vehicle so to me, I see added value for the galvanizing etc.

But it is a very personal thing.

A puma chassis isn't going to last anywhere near 30 years. My 16 year old Td5 chassis is near rotted away and they only got nastier towards the end.

The poor quality and thinner steel isn't helped by the vaguest misting of paint wafted in its general direction by a moths fart.

• Like 1

Having had a standard black chassis last for nearly 30 years, I am not convinced about the value of galvanising a chassis. Realistically are you going to keep the car that long? will we still be allowed personal transportation in 30 years time?

The way I look at it is that it is minimal extra outlay at the time of a rebuild. And then you just don't have to worry about it.

Especially with the amount of salt on the roads, hence the issue noted above.