Defender steering shaft

If you're buying a later style shaft I would get an oem one. I bought a pattern part (can't remember which make) and the UJs had a tiny bit of play but was very noticeable through the steering wheel, got an oem one and it was spot on

Dave

That joint sometimes goes loose after a uj or box swap, if you are not careful the joint partially collapses as it would in an accident and play is the result. LR say its a none serviceable item but if you get it on the bench and make sure its full length by gripping one half of the shaft in a vice and twatting hitting the other part of the joint (with a soft faced mallet) so its full length the play may well disappear.

Its worth trying.

HTH

Thanks for the replies fellows.

I have seen the item on Ebay for the price you mention. My thoughts being that it is going to be a minimum of 19 years old and for roughly double that amount there is a new OEM unit advertised in the same place. Which is still significantly less than the price of a genuine item or an OEM item from other vendors.

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/91093/0/steering_shaft_collapsable_def

I think having heard the wonderful news that the possibility of failure exists I am going to replace it with a new item.

On the subject of the later type, and non changeable UJs it looks like there was an interim type which had at least 1 UJ which could be replaced.

http://numcat.ru/landrover/p/31/53703/

Nah, the original part is item No1 and in the few days since starting this thread it has deteriorated markedly. Now, when driving, it sounds and feels like it is about to fall apart any second. Though when moving it (the centre joint) by hand there is only a very small amount of play. Then again I don't imagine my hand is exerting anything like the level of force provided by the PS system

I think given that the original item has lasted for 32 years (and 370,000 miles) and has had neither UJ fail during the 18 years (and 200,000 miles) I have owned it, I will stick with this variant