3.5 efi Flapper to Megasquirt conversion

bodumatau

5 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

This raises an interesting question.... On the fuel return pipe into the tank, is it best practice to put pipe on it so it drains smoothly to the bottom of the tank or do you just leave it to drip/spray where the metal pipe enters the too of the tank?

Either way, I need to go and get a piece of pipe out of my tank because I was not aware they're not submersible, the question is what to replace it with.

I don't think return is that critical in a Land Rover.

@steve200TDi might remember the hose he bought, someone like Think Automotive, Merlin Motorsport or Rally Design might have suitable pipe, or a hydraulics shop may well be able to supply the right spec.

If you are a wealthy man, like Fridge, you need hose to SAE 30R10, which is twinwall for in tank use. IF you can find any, it seems 'kin expensive. Boat stuff maybe ?

Or, if you are clever, like what I am, you can use SINGLE WALL hose, made from NBR material, with cotton overbraid. I have used it for years in diesel tanks with no problems.

They advertise it for use in petrol fuel injection systems, so I see no reason it would not "in tank" with petrol.

6 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

This raises an interesting question.... On the fuel return pipe into the tank, is it best practice to put pipe on it so it drains smoothly to the bottom of the tank or do you just leave it to drip/spray where the metal pipe enters the too of the tank?

Either way, I need to go and get a piece of pipe out of my tank because I was not aware they're not submersible, the question is what to replace it with.

I would extend it to the bottom of the tank, if only because it might make a dribbling tap noise when the tank is emptyish (which will be most of the time running a V8), which may be distracting and annoying to some degree.

15 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I don't think return is that critical in a Land Rover.

@steve200TDi might remember the hose he bought, someone like Think Automotive, Merlin Motorsport or Rally Design might have suitable pipe, or a hydraulics shop may well be able to supply the right spec.

Yes, I bought a meter of this:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/rubber-in-tank-fuel-hose-by-cohline-per-metre-2190-0615

Regarding the return line, if it doesn't already have a tube that goes to the bottom of the tank then I shouldn't worry. The most important part is to get unaerated fuel to the engine!

Steve

pump still intermittent ..... aarrgghhh, so maybe I havent found the fault....luckily a new fuel pump on its way....albeit slowly as the couriers are Corona crippled.

another question, actually 2

MSDROID - can you adjust the whole fuelling map by a certain percentage with MSDROID PRO? with the free version you can only adjust the fuel map points one by one.

TD5 exhaust - since replacing my standard V8 exhaust (comes out the side) with the TD5 tailpipe I am getting a lot more fumes, I only drive my land without a roof on so never any cab of any sort, it is a 110 hardtop body. - is this why the V8 had its exit to the side? has anyone else experienced this problem?

44 minutes ago, bodumatau said:

MSDROID - can you adjust the whole fuelling map by a certain percentage with MSDROID PRO? with the free version you can only adjust the fuel map points one by one.

REQ_FUEL in basic settings/constants has the effect of moving the whole map up/down, it's the "base number" that gets multiplied by all the corrections to calculate the final fuel amount.

• 3 weeks later...

PRC8318 ordered and received in its Britpart box (Britpart is actually a bit of a lie unless "Brit" is a province in China)

modified the pump to get to the bottom of my tank, switched it on, it made a whizzing noise but the V8 did not start....

put the output through a clear tube and noticed that it was trying (badly) to suck fuel out of the fuel can when I switched it on....

turned the polarity around and it pumped like a beaut..... seems the factory in the province "brit" wired up the pumps the wrong way around...

unless now brown wires are earth and blue are positive?

On 7/14/2020 at 9:58 AM, bodumatau said:

I have the pro version and yes, you can select a single cell or highlight multiple cells and knock those up or down as you wish. I just tried it and you can select the whole table to do this too.

Edited by Quagmire

On 7/29/2020 at 11:52 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

If it's a Range Rover EFi pump it's entirely possible, you need to work on the loom plug orientation not the wire colours.

does anyone know the name of the loom plug that these pumps come with? can you buy the plug with wires to splice it into the loom?

1454750841_Fuelpumpplug.thumb.jpeg.4ddccb0427ea98f0acd05b3bfa16c629.jpeg