Getting my baby back...

JeffR

Having spent way too long scooting (comfortably I must add) around in a Passat (not a bad little car.....but kinda soul less) we bit the bullet and have arranged for my 110 van to be shipped up from Devon next week. Buggers done the best part of 500K miles, but has a galv chassis, new bulkhead (had it powder coated in a fit of stupidity) , NEW wiring loom (yeah no twisted wires, scotch loks or chocolate blocks to contend with), G10 winch, Mach 5's (no doubt with buggered tyres....), TD5 dash and various other odds n sods. So over the next month or so need to source a speedo transducer, finish rebuilding the seats (been putting that off for 6 years....) and get it tested.

Also means we can finally retire the Disco which still drives sideways and you can't open the doors (twisted shell) so will be removing a few bits like the engine (which is currently in the process of digesting it's turbo) , new rad/intercooler and steering box, wheels and tyres. Is there anything else anyone can think of which will go from the Disco to a Defender?

So busy times ahead

How come you've been so long without the car, and why are you without it in the first place?

I wish I had decent spec'd defenders scattered about the country :)

Disco kinda got written off when I jack knifed it (fool in a euro box couldn't see a Disco towing a Toyota Surf....) it and twisted the body/chassis and axle in the resulting brown trouser moment. The Defender on it's way from Devon , well I meant to bring it up when we moved house, but , well, it sort of got forgotten about...., life got in the way, had a blonde/senior moment (or five)........Only owned it for 20 years or so

Good news Jeff. Did anything ever happen with the twit in the car? Do I remember right - a white Starlet or something hot hatchish?

Sadly the driver of the white eurobox remains anonymous..

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the shopping list is huge.... The body is on the chassis, though most of the brackets are short of most of the bolts, a lot of kit that was on it has disappeared into the ether, no doubt never to be seen again. To say I'm shocked is the understatement of the decade, moral is you can't trust anyone these days.

Folks who transported it up were very good and very affordable Sclaro vehicle transport (sclaro@hotmail.co.uk)