Fitting a new transfer box

So took the old one off as described in a tread in the tech archive.

Got delivery of a shiney new one, now to fit. Do I need to take the back casing off of as described in the thread, or can I just lift and slide this new one on?

• Like 1

Ehm... We did the TB swop on the 110 in 3 hrs. 15 min. incl. a treabreak.

We got the TB from Synchro and never took that back plate off.

Ramp and transmission lift are very nice though - I have done it on the drive way a few times but ramp is so much easier..

Good Luck.

Great, thanks for the responses.

Yeah, the old one came out pretty quick, the hardest bit was taking the sound killer mat out neatly without pressing on the fuse box and moving all the carp that is sitting around in the truck. Since I had no jack or lift here I took the back off so a friend could grab the box at the top, to then lower it down to the floor.

Ordered a trolly jack so I can lift up the new one to fit so that will make it easier.

All these tools and gadgets are undeniably really helpful however if you do get stuck it's perfectly possibly to change the transfer box with just a trolley jack and a helping hand.

Me and my dad somehow managed to do an r380 and lt230 in one piece on the floor ?

I've found the easiest way to fit gearboxes is on my back and lift while someone else does the same from above.

Transfer boxes are similar, from above put a rope or strap around both output shafts and lift the weight. Another person underneath and outside way lifts the input part of the box, get it rested carefully on the output shift, and then carefully lift twist and square the box up on the main box and they just fall together.