Need help with engine rebuild/ cyl block replacement

Luma

So my Santana SIIA rebuild moved on with dismantling of the engine. The bore wasn't worn too bad but still had enough ridge to cause me a problem when trying to get the fourth piston out. ( the rings got stuck behind the ridge and couldn't get past it so I had to sandpaper it a bit to make it pass) Also the bore was original size. (90,47mm)
The crack running alongside the cylinder block wich I mentioned in my other post was tested once again, connected to tap water via hose. The water should be around 4 bar (56psi) pressure, and
it still didn't leak.
However I wanted to be sure, and decided to swap the block. I had 2.25 diesel engine laying in the corner of my garage for years and after some inspection, it turns out that it has been bored to 0.020 so now it's around 91 mm bore, and also it has no ridge at all, almost as good as new :rolleyes: Since the blocks on 2.25 petrol and diesel are the same I decided to complicate my engine rebuild a bit more and swap all the petrol components to this diesel block ^_^
So I started the disassembling. Besides one nut on the crankshaft journal (prob overtightened) it wasn't too hard of a job since the pistons and conrods were already out and most of the other nuts were tightened by hand.

20160718 174925

20160719 193046

Here it is, naked block with just main bearings in it
I did the same thing with my petrol engine the next day, having bit of a problem with getting tappet assembly out, the tappet guide was kinda stuck inside so I tapped with hammer gently and wasted alot of WD-40 , also payed a bit more attention when removing the camshaft, but it still wasn't more than 3 hours of work...

20160719 193059

20160719 193106

Here are both engines. The one further away, on the floor is diesel block and elevated one, closer is petrol.

20160719 200820

Diesel crankshaft. I wrapped it in rags to prevent any damage, you can never be too sure, and well, who knows I might need a Diesel crankshaft some time soon ;)

20160719 200828

And this is Petrol crankshaft. They appear to be the same although apparently they are not. The big "P" stamped on it stands for Petrol?
Okay so here is my problem. :glare:
This is the main bearing wich I wound in the Diesel block, on the diesel crankshaft:

20160719 192350

As you can see, It says 010 U/S. I suppose that stands for 0.010" undersize. But the thing is my manual says that only petrol engines have undersizes, so what is this bearing doing in here?
And this is the main bearing shell from the petrol engine:

20160719 192416

It says STD meaning standard. So is this okay, or is every petrol engine supposed to have undersize?

Wich bearing should I order when I start putting this back together (with the petrol crankshaft obviously) STD, 010 U/S or something else? How can I accurately measure wear without some special tool?

Also, I do need to put main bearing cap from the petrol engine onto it, right? What about the tappet assemblies? obviously I will put the slider and the pushrods from petrol back in but what about tappet guide? Petrol or Diesel?

20160719 193149

Oh, and is this flat part on the camshaft normal? it doesn't seem to be worn ,more like it's machined

• Like 1

Just on the off-chance ...

My impression is that most people on this forum who once had 'current' knowlwdge of S2A 2.25 engines have long ago moved on to different engines. Whether that was a good decision or not is another discussion.

The forum that probably has more current interest and hands on knowledge of the 2.25 is the Series 2 Club forum. You don't have to be a Club member to post questions, or get answers.

While my ID should still be active there, I am not, and it's probably best if you don't start 'I was recommended to this forum by D**** S*********' !!

With that proviso, if you have more questions you might give them a try. I'm not sure whether the Santana word will help, or put people off because they don't know what differences there might be.

Regards.

someday I'll fit the original engine back - if I can find all the bits I kept when I cut them out to fit the tdi, the intercooler, the battery, .........