Getting Brassed Off Now

7 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

When you asked me about the gearing was you thinking the FIP mite not be matched to the 1:4 tranny box meaning not enough grunt for the gearing I have or too much grunt for the gearing I have, you have just got me thinking that's all

I was wondering if you had a 1.2:1 box fitted and if this was comtributing to the problem

2 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

It might be in Rich, it's been a while since I last tinkered.

If it hasn't got the guard on it, rattler, then who's to know. As long as you are careful and record what you do. A small change on this screw makes a big difference so small changes only ?

HTH

Mo

The guard is off but there is a fresh dab of paint on the pin and nut

Made a start removing the intercooler and pipes and whilst removing the lower pipe that was working on earlier this week I found the joint that was leaking oil was really loose, I must of missed it checking them, anyway I removed the pipes and intercooler, filled the intercooler with petrol and sealed up to be left soaking over night and cleaned the pipes it with brake cleaner, the inlet manifold has some oil in it but I don't have a gasket but will get one from the Peterborough show next weekend along with a fuel filter and as I had a 25ltr drum of oil I decided to drop the oil and refilled to between the High and Low marks so tomorrow I will clean the intercooler out and refit everything and see how it goes

23 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Never heard that one before. Assuming he means the stop solenoid - I thought they were either open or shut (i.e. engine on or off)??

Sorry stop solenoid he said he thinks its the FIP sucking the pin in when it gets to full throttle and shutting the pump off, I replaced the solenoid as a matter of course with a new Beamach one when I fitted the engine along with a new Bearmach lift pump which he said could be another thing to look at so i will just have see, before I took it today I was thinking like as others have said boost pin / fuel pin needs tweaking a quarter of a turn but as the FIP has dabs of paint all over it I thought I would see what he says first before I start messing with it

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen starting issues caused by low voltage at the stop solenoid, not on a Land Rover though, a friends camper van.  It was a pig to start from cold, easystart was the usual answer.  In that case it turned out it was getting low voltage at the solenoid so it wouldn't open, but the easy start up the inlet was enough for it to fire and open up the solenoid, so it then ran on diesel once the alternator had raised the voltage.  I cured that one by running a direct feed from the battery to the solenoid, whether I or not that was a weak solenoid needing more than the idle voltage to open I'll never know