LPG filler location

LS26

Hi,

On my RRC I am going to mount my LPG tank just behind the front seats (all trim etc behind the front seats has been removed). I wish to keep the filler pipe as short as possible to speed up filling, and would like to place the filler adapter (if possible) so as to keep it out of the mire.

My questions are:

Are there any regs pertaining to the placement of the filler adapter?

Where have you got yours and how do you keep it clean?

Roger

Soory! I meant this to go in the Range Rover forum - is it possible to move it?

I wouldn't have thought the length of the filler pipe made a huge difference to filling time?

Mine's near the bottom of the rear wing same as most, which seems like a bad idea but hasn't been a problem so far. On the other hand, the wing on the other side has a big dent right where the filler is, and as it had it before I got the truck I doubt it was even from off roading.

Will you still have a standard petrol tank? If not, replacing the petrol filler, especially if it's behind a flap, would be ideal.

Hi,

I will be keeping the standard petrol tank (for the time being) and my current LPG filler is squeezed inside the petrol flap, but my flap is one of those lower ones which puts the LPG filler... Tell you what: One picture is worth a thousand words - I'll nip out and take a snap:

P1030811%20(Small).JPG

As you can see - the current setup is a bit low, points upwards and so fills with water/mud :( (the previous owner cut the bottom away to alleviate this but it still fills up the little threaded bit in the middle), and finally it's a RPIA to fit the nozzle coz it hits the flap. For all these reasons I want to move it up and out of harm's way.

WRT length of filler pipe making a difference to the fill time, well I'm not too sure - the worst choke points are probably the valves but I can't do anything about them, and the thought of trying to squeeze 80 litres of LPG through a tiny pipe (8mm bore?) against back pressure, (and usually in a blizzard it seems) makes me think that the shorter it is, the better..

My current thinking is that I could put the LPG filler through the C Pillar here:

P1030812%20(Small).JPG

and perhaps get one of those little plastic caps for it...

Whadayathink?

Rog

The C pillar is a structural element so cutting holes in it is not a good idea IMHO.

I don't know what the regs are, but does the filler have to be outside the vehicle? Could you mount it somewhere accessible from the rear doors?

The C pillar is a structural element so cutting holes in it is not a good idea IMHO.

I don't know what the regs are, but does the filler have to be outside the vehicle? Could you mount it somewhere accessible from the rear doors?

Yes it's got to be outside the vehicle, just in case it leaks. That's why the pipes to it are fitted in Kopex type stuff, which is sealed to the tank and the floor. Should it rupture the gas vents to outside the car, not inside where you're sat there having a fag :blink:

:hysterical: structural? :hysterical:

P1030813%20(Small).JPG

But seriously, thanks for that, I did realise today at work that it was a silly idea to put holes in the C pillar - but I have found a better place - I can just mount it in the rear inner wing above the wheel-arch and put a hole in the outer wing - maybe even put a high-level flap in there if I can find one...

Cheers,

Rog

Rog,

I had the same thoughts about filling with rubbish, ripping off etc etc, so I put mine behind the vent grills on the rear panel, the vent grill is now held on by velcro :lol: but has stayed there for about 5 months and never had any carp in the filler itself, although it does have its own dust cover.

Also I wanted my tank on the passenger side to help and try and offset the weight of my left leg some of my weight.

post-400-1165057200_thumb.jpg

post-400-1165057200_thumb.jpg

Great idea - nice and high AND under cover. But due to my desired tank location and the (maybe misguided) wish to keep the pipe short, the vent cover is not an option. My latest thinking is plumb centre of this bracket:

P1030814%20(Small).JPG

Now - has anyone got an old rear offside outer wing with a high filler that I could canibalise? The rest of the wing other than the flap is immaterial... I could pick up near to Leeds...

Rog

Ok dokay, i'll try and explain what i did for my mid-tank setup:

The filler hole was in the lower section of the rear wing . . .as seen here:

body03.jpg

from there, i made the pipe do a couple of loops in a spiral up to the underside of the inner wing. i put the spirals in to allow some flexing and lalso crash protection / whatever . . . basically if **** hit the fan, then there was excess pipe to handle deformation.

From there, the pipe ran along the top of the chassis rail to the cross member that the a-frame bolts to. it then turned in towards the middle of the boot floor and then up to the tank.

IIRC i think i used:

- p-clips on the underside of the floor to hold it as it ran to the middle

- p-clips on the chassis rail

- p-clips on the underside of the inner wing before it spiralled down to the filler point.

Prior to that installation, i had the tank mounted behind the rear seats as per most normal setups. the filler pipe ran from the wing striaght to the middle of the boot floor and up to the tank. again i had a couple of spirals before it ran up to the tank.

The initial, shorter filler pipe definitely filled quicker than the longer filler pipe i had when i sold the RRC.

I did take the car off roading ( see

:D )

and even with the filler point so low down, it didn't get damaged ( i must be a good driver! :P

If i were to do it again i think i would actually prefer a centrally mounted filler on the rear bumper area or something. LPG when it escapes is heavier than air, so i liked to have the vent pipes run down from the tank valve rather than having the filler points higher.

I have a high level filler assembly from my 92 MY. Complete with solenoid wotsit.

Currently aspen silver, but I am sure you could remedy that. ;)

Interested?

Certainly would be interested - but it's a lot of trouble for you to post it - I was thinking of one close enough for me to collect... But if you are sure you don't mind, then how much would you want for it (including compensation for your time & P&P)?

Roger

from there, i made the pipe do a couple of loops in a spiral up to the underside of the inner wing. i put the spirals in to allow some flexing and lalso crash protection / whatever . . . basically if **** hit the fan, then there was excess pipe to handle deformation.

Loops are a good idea - I once had a brake pipe repeatedly break on an overland trip to India in a 2A - after replacing it as accurately as I could three or four times, I finally put a loop in and had no more trouble...

The initial, shorter filler pipe definitely filled quicker than the longer filler pipe i had when i sold the RRC.

Yes I thought that this would be the case, but seeing as my thoughts were based on A level physics of 35 years ago, it's nice to have confirmation :)

If i were to do it again i think i would actually prefer a centrally mounted filler on the rear bumper area or something.

My brother-in-law had his on the towball drop-plate and it was certainly very convenient, but I still fancy the higher fitment... and:

LPG when it escapes is heavier than air, so i liked to have the vent pipes run down from the tank valve rather than having the filler points higher.

Only my filler pipe would be high, any leaks in this area would drain down the plastic sheath, through the bayonet-cap thing and out of the outlet sheath (that WILL point downwards), so hopefully I'll be ok.

I like the video - what caused the brake problem?

Thanks for the detailed reply - it's certainly a comfort to accumilate information on here before cutting metal!

Think Thrice

Measure Twice

Cut Once

Should perhaps be

Think Thrice

Measure Twice

Check it on LR4x4

Cut Once :D

Roger

the brake pipes all looked good and well, but it turned out that they had corroded on the front passenger side where the pipes route around the back of the washer bottle and the loom runs over the top of it.

i.e., the only 6" of pipe you couldn't see. The pipe burst so hard that the underside of the bonnet paint work all became stripped.

the pipes were replaced that night, after spending 4 hours sorting out a trailer to get me to a pals house, and then another few hours doing the pipes.

all good fun!

the brake pipes all looked good and well, but it turned out that they had corroded on the front passenger side where the pipes route around the back of the washer bottle and the loom runs over the top of it.

i.e., the only 6" of pipe you couldn't see.

Yep know the feeling. When I bought Tiny it had all new bright kunifer on it so I thought, "Lovely, that's another job I don't have to do". 3 years later on a Saturday morning at the testing station it dumps all the fluid on the floor while doing the brake test. There was still an original steel pipe which had burst, which is a link pipe on top of the brake valve under the rear seat box/kickboard. I was just happy it happened there, as the guy let me make a new pipe and bleed it up before retesting the brakes for me there and then.

Certainly would be interested - but it's a lot of trouble for you to post it - I was thinking of one close enough for me to collect... But if you are sure you don't mind, then how much would you want for it (including compensation for your time & P&P)?

Roger

Posting it is no problem - I'm getting quite good at "fabricating" carboard boxes to odd shapes!

How does £10 + postage sound? If you're quick with your reply I can post it today........ :unsure:

• 2 months later...
AFAIK the regs state the filler has t be more than 6" ahead of the back of the vehicle and in a safe lace ie not sticking out. One of mine was on the towbar, but as that's the strongest place I left it and fitted the al-kak towball as it's longer.

I've seen quite a few (not normally on land rovers) mounted in the back bumper. Doesn't mean it's legal, of course, and it's always struck me as a very bad idea.