Looking to buy my 1st land rovee

Anthony181271

Hi all, advice sort. I have been looking to buy my 1st ever landy (76 series 3). Having not driven for 20yrs I changed oil and filter fuel and filter and cleaned air filter and re-oiled gearbox and axles and balljoints. The landy runs fine reving the engine (2.25  desiel) in neutral and drives great in low range in all gears over rocks and up hills but in high range it has no power at all once in 2nd and stalls.... any ideas before I put in an offer and buy. Many thanks Anthony 

Did you put in fresh fuel? Lack of power could be one of many thngs, especially as it has been sat for so long. Injectors could need to be refurbished, could be a fuel blockage or air getting into the fuel, lift pump failure or injection pump issue as well as many other things. Did you change the fuel filter? Might be worth flushing out the fuel system as there could be rust or just gunk in the tank and fuel lines.

Does the engine breathe? You might want to check the compression if all the other issues above check out.

Sticking rings would cause poor compression and blow by, so poor performance, as would gummed up valves. The intake rubber hose could have perished internally and be collapsing and suffocating the engine, likewise a rotten exhaust. It could be something like seized brakes, too.  Frankly, after that time sitting, the drums will at need least a skim and the cylinders will all need replacing.  They will be corroded and the steel pistons jammed with the white slat that aluminium cylinders generate as they corrode.  The hand brake linkage could also have seized.  They would be evident if you can't push the vehicle.

There are lots of reasons other than the engine that can cause poor performance on a laid up vehicle.  Some are cheap, others not.  Sorry, that is not the answer you want, but starting with trying fresh fuel as Tet said (drain the old out first, don't mix new with old in the tank) and removing the intake hose for a short run (not in dusty conditions) are cheap and easy places to start.

The problem is though that he hasn't yet bought it. "any ideas before I put in an offer and buy". This is all about pre-purchase checks so it's a gamble.

It all depends on whether or not you want a project. I bought a 1976 Series 3 that was "on the road". I intended just to check it over and make sure it would be ok then for a year or two whilst my almost 17 year old daughter was going to learn to drive using it (a proper car).

As soon as I got it home I started prodding, lifting, looking underneath etc. My little bit of "fettling" turned into a full restoration with a galv chassis, rebuild of the gearbox and a full respray. By the time I took it for it's first MOT, my daughter had passed her test, gone through university, worked in China for over a year and was well on the way to getting married. She'd left home too by then of course :blush:

Moral of the story is if you want a Land Rover to drive, don't buy a 20 year lay-up. If you want a project, now that's something else!

Hi again thanks for the advice. 

Things so fare done. 

Engine oil and filter changed.

air filter stripped and cleaned.

fuel drained and replaced also new fuel filter fitted.

axles all re-oiled

front ball joints re-oiled

taken for a good run across the fields and up and over steep hill climbs and rocks ( great in low range) breaks working well for an old girl. 

Just nothing in 2nd or above in high range. 

Its going to be a labour of love needs complete new wings .. floor pans.. doors and the usual tlc all over. Asking for £1000 not sure if that's a good price with the running issues and no MOT for 20yrs 

Photos don't really show that doors and wings are bad and need completely changing. 

Sub frame is fantastic 

ps as for time to complete I have no doubt all my kids will have past driving tests got married and had kids b4 I'm finished ?

IMG_7862.JPG

IMG_7859.JPG

IMG_7857.JPG

IMG_7858.JPG

IMG_7861.JPG

IMG_7860.JPG

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

The problem is though that he hasn't yet bought it. "any ideas before I put in an offer and buy". This is all about pre-purchase checks so it's a gamble.

It all depends on whether or not you want a project. I bought a 1976 Series 3 that was "on the road". I intended just to check it over and make sure it would be ok then for a year or two whilst my almost 17 year old daughter was going to learn to drive using it (a proper car).

As soon as I got it home I started prodding, lifting, looking underneath etc. My little bit of "fettling" turned into a full restoration with a galv chassis, rebuild of the gearbox and a full respray. By the time I took it for it's first MOT, my daughter had passed her test, gone through university, worked in China for over a year and was well on the way to getting married. She'd left home too by then of course :blush:

Moral of the story is if you want a Land Rover to drive, don't buy a 20 year lay-up. If you want a project, now that's something else!

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Got my heart set on a series 3 I like the front styling and look .....last of the propa old Land Rovers ?

Hence im under no illusions that it's going to be a long haul especially as I've never worked in any car before really........but loved meccano as a young boy....so early Land Rover training already completed ?

For £1k, that is a good start, regardless of the engine.  You can stick in another engine like a 2.5 petrol to make it more driveable and quieter, or another diesel for mpg, or rebuild that engine if it needs it (not a common task as it was a pretty bad driver).  You might find better running vehicles out there, but not in such good over all condition without paying three or four times that price.

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

For £1k, that is a good start, regardless of the engine.  You can stick in another engine like a 2.5 petrol to make it more driveable and quieter, or another diesel for mpg, or rebuild that engine if it needs it (not a common task as it was a pretty bad driver).  You might find better running vehicles out there, but not in such good over all condition without paying three or four times that price.

Thank you, I'm definitely buying it now and looking forward to the tasks ahead.......just got a little overwhelmed at 1st look over it. But have soon realised the Land Rover community is vast so I want be on my own through my first ever landy and project 

Good for you; it's certainly better looking than the one I bought. It will be a great start. I relied totally on the forums (and latterly YouTube) when I started a few years ago. It's been a great learning curve.