Waxoyl'd Chassis to be Galvanised.

It came to mind this week that perhaps the process of galvanising my chassis (which is preceded by acid dipping) might not be successful. A little research on Google has reaffirmed my fear that the acid dip bath prior to the galvanising process contains Hydrochloric Acid, but most wax will not be removed by this acid. (any chemists on the forum please say if you think i am wrong here). The best i can hope for is the heat generated by the acid acting on any non-waxed part of the chassis might melt the old wax that exits wishing the chassis. But the bottom line is that if the wax isn't removed then surely the galvanising process will not work, renedering the cost of this useless ??????

ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS ANYONE ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally just spoken to Crediton Galvanisers, who only charge £400 + VAT, but they wouldn't do the job because of the wax, agreeing the process wouldn't work. Thank you all for your replies. Apologies for the delay in replying, i am not being pinged when replies come into the forum.........will check my settings !

Are Richards THE only new chassis mob to go for (3 month wait i gather ?) or are Marshland acceptable ?

Marsland are still able to supply, they sell the correct pattern LR defender chassis main rails made of 2 C channels welded top & bottom, whereas Richards use 4 plates welde at the edges. I have a Marsland chassis under my 110, very pleased with it, didn't have any problems bolting parts to it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wave Mountain said:

Are Richards THE only new chassis mob to go for (3 month wait i gather ?) or are Marshland acceptable ?

When I did mine I looked at both Marslands and Richards, I bought at Marsland.

Everything just fitted and if you care about such detail its the closest to 'new chassis to original specification' that you can get.

• Like 2

So.... crediton wanted 480 quid......

Plus it would have had to be blasted first at the very least...... plus repairs....

So put that against a brand new chassis and it makes having new metal not that expensive! ...

If you want a big standard chassis go to marsland.

If you want cage mounts or hd rear cross member  then go to Richards...

• Like 1