3 WIRE INJECTOR PUMP 300TDI

JimAttrill

We are busy fitting a disco 300 tdi engine to a Falcon Defender, but alas, we found that the injector pump is the 3 wire version, and not a single wire like a Defender.

We took of the cover and found one wire going into the pump but there is also a sort of magnetic coil thingie.

How do we wire it up ? Or do we fit a fuel solenoid from a defender ??

I didn't know there was a 3 wire version, unless its an EDC (electronic diesel control) pump? they have a load of electrical garbage on the pump and AFAIK won't run without the associated ECU etc.

If it just has the EGR sensor on the pump and is otherwise a normal non-electronic pump then I should forget about that and disable the EGR system just leaving the feed to the solenoid. I'm afraid I don't have either an EGR or an EDC pump handy to check or take photos of though, there are very few of either type here.

It does have the EGR which we will throw away, of course. The throttle potentiometer we just leave as is. I reckon we will just put some power on one of the wires and see what happens. What does the electronic Disco pump look like? Unfortunately we had one in a few weeks ago, it was a personal import as they were never sold here AFAIK. I should have looked at it more carefully, I suppose.

The electronic pump has a lot more rubbish on the top of it, in fact I seem to remember you can hardly see the pump at all.

Anybody on here (from UK) got a late 300Tdi auto they could take a photo of the injector pump?

The electronic pump has a lot more rubbish on the top of it, in fact I seem to remember you can hardly see the pump at all.

Anybody on here (from UK) got a late 300Tdi auto they could take a photo of the injector pump?

Seems to me like you have a late 300tdi from a Discovery that did not have a spider. As I understand it the weak point with the anti theft systems with the spider was that it was possible to hot wire the start/stop solenoid on the pump. Therefore they introduced the three wire one, which could not be hot wired so easily. I believe one wire is negative, one is positive, and the other is some sort of signal to operate the solenoid. As yet I don't know what that signal is. One day I will take the 'scope to my car to check. To complicate matters I believe the parts are held to the pump with tamperproof screws that have to be drilled out. Was this true for yours?

Ian

Sorry if this has been covered (didn't read all the replys).

The 3 wires are 12v+(ignition) earth and immobiliser signal.

Throw the component with 3 wires to it, away. Attach the 12v+ignition feed to the top of the solenoid (where the original single wire went).

Job done. ;)

• 1 year later...
It does have the EGR which we will throw away, of course. The throttle potentiometer we just leave as is. I reckon we will just put some power on one of the wires and see what happens. What does the electronic Disco pump look like? Unfortunately we had one in a few weeks ago, it was a personal import as they were never sold here AFAIK. I should have looked at it more carefully, I suppose.

Just changed a 3 wire injector pump from a 98 disco for the the earlier version, single wire to solenoid, using a circuit tester find which of the 3 wires has a live feed when ignition switched on and connect that to the solenoid and presto all is fine, did all of this in a field at billing LR show.

egards

Keith

• 11 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, Malikhosein1 said:

Hi there has anyone ever converted a 300tdi edc injector pump to operate as a manual pump.

I actually need a manual injector pump but cant source one here in trinidad

Generally swapped - although god knows why as the EDC pump is far better