Adding 240v to my Defender

As my 110 is no longer my daily driver I leave it on a trickle charge but also want to leave other things on charge and run the fridge on 240v when preparing for trips. At at the moment this achieved by putting an extension lead through the window but I know there must be a better way. On the trailer I have a caravan type hook up flap, but don't really want to cut a big hole in the defender so is there an easier way?

My thoughts are it would/should be 16a commando based but apart from that I am looking for ideas of both hookup and internal distribution?

• Battery Charger
  • Fridge
  • Kenlow pre heater
  • Possibly power for de-humidifier to dry the thing out when she has been for a swim!!

Thanks, Jason.

A bit of an alternative but a bit less wiring: Stick a chunky 12v anderson connector somewhere externally accessible and charge/run stuff through that, would double up as a handy power point when camped & allow a jump-start without lifting the seat to get at the battery. A battery cutoff switch wired into it would stop people stealing your power or whatever when you're parked elsewhere.

Wiring 240v round a landy would require a bit of thought, as the chances for damage (knocks, abrasions, moisture, submersion, etc.) are much higher and the consequences potentially that much worse.

Like you say i would use a suitably IP rated socket ( big round blue jobbies)

I think i've seen people place them under the battery box with suitable mud shield. How ever i can't see its the best position if you go anywhere remotely off road.

There must be some info out there on home build camper conversion. I think i've seen t25 Vdubs or mk2 campers with these connectors.

I would definately install a Residual current device. The only problem i can see is that if you have large loads or lots of consumers, you may struggle to get sufficient discrimination between the rating of your RCD and with the existing sytem.

Effectively you want the device in your landy to trip before that further up the wire.

I would go check the names plates of the items you think you would want to use, and tot up the powers. that way you can get an idea of the currents/ RCD you would require.

No idea how this applies to "Thou shall not install a new circuit"... on homes though : )

Like you say i would use a suitably IP rated socket ( big round blue jobbies)

I think i've seen people place them under the battery box with suitable mud shield. How ever i can't see its the best position if you go anywhere remotely off road.

There must be some info out there on home build camper conversion. I think i've seen t25 Vdubs or mk2 campers with these connectors.

I would definately install a Residual current device. The only problem i can see is that if you have large loads or lots of consumers, you may struggle to get sufficient discrimination between the rating of your RCD and with the existing sytem.

Effectively you want the device in your landy to trip before that further up the wire.

I would go check the names plates of the items you think you would want to use, and tot up the powers. that way you can get an idea of the currents/ RCD you would require.

No idea how this applies to "Thou shall not install a new circuit"... on homes though : )

There is legislation in place covering the insallation of 240volt into mobile applications.

Effectively, Mobile workshops etc have to comply with the regs. Motorhomes and caravans are exempt.

I have a copy of the regs at work for reference but they do not actually apply to me.

Take a look at the Towsure web site, they do a couple of ready made kits for wiring in mains (safely).

Inlet sockets don't always require a huge hole and are no longer always white. You need to search caravan parts suppliers on the net.

Cheers Guys, like I say it's not just to charge the battery but to run other things, I have installed 240v into the trailer with a black cover flap going to a small consumer unit and then off to different things but wondered if there was a better way of doing this in the Defender. My thoughts were around putting a commando under the bonnet going to a small IP rated consumer unit under the seat box with circuits taken from there. so was just looking for ideas around that if anyone had done something similar.

Jason.