Defender 90 V8 carb to EFI conversion speed transducer question

I have just about finished collecting all the bits and pieces required for my conversion for a Defender 90 from carb to EFI Hotwire. I have also acquired a speed transducer, dirty and muddy but checked it and is fully operational.

Now starts the question part:

Where should I mount this transducer? How? What about the cable wires? Can I use Range Rover ones or they have to be custom made to length?

Any help more than welcome!!!

My old 90 that I converted to Disco V8 and Auto was running Lucas 14CUX ECU and it used to stall whenever I stopped at intersections. After a few days of this I sort of suspected that the ECU needed to know if we were moving or not. So I restored the speed sensor connection to the ECU. This was tricky because the truck still used a mechanical speedo. I ended up drilling a hole through the back of the disco transducer and piggy-backed the old speedo cable on it. I built a square extension piece that passed from the cable right through the hall effect gubbins and picked up the speedo drive in the transfer case.

After this mod, the truck was fine. In fact it was spectacular :D and remains my favourite truck even though it's just a memory now after some a-hole in a Pissant Safari rear-ended me into a oncoming car which wrote off all three vehicles... :ph34r: Sorry, didn't mean to turn this response in to a nostalgia-trip :(

post-27266-0-35000900-1313095297_thumb.jpg

post-27266-0-01815700-1313095312_thumb.jpg

post-27266-0-17728700-1313095334_thumb.jpg

Is it the box type transducer that fits inline with the speedo cable? I have this type on my 110 which went from carb V8 to 3,9 efi . Mine sits up by the brake servo as this is where the cable joins on a 110 speedo . It is wired thru bulkhead to the loom for the ecu which sits in cubby box between front seats . HTSH

I believe there's a RR unit that fits in-line with the speedo cable.

I'd just MegaSquirt it and have done though :P

I will, but that is the next step... one step at a time...

1st step carb to efi Hotwire

2nd step LT85 to auto

3rd step MS.....

Is it the box type transducer that fits inline with the speedo cable? I have this type on my 110 which went from carb V8 to 3,9 efi . Mine sits up by the brake servo as this is where the cable joins on a 110 speedo . It is wired thru bulkhead to the loom for the ecu which sits in cubby box between front seats . HTSH

Yes I have the box type transducer. Did you use Range Rover cables from transfer to transducer and from transducer to speedo?

My hybrid had this issue.

Its a issue more when on road, come down the rev range to say traqffic lights at red, slow from rpm to a

zero MPH and the engine will hunt and most likley stall at tickover

Reason is no Speed transducer, without this a vital imput to the ECU is missing.

Its driven from the gearbox to speedo drive with the unit in between drive to the speedo from the

gearbox is then passed to the Unit which has a green and yellow wire from memory and connects

into the V8 engine loom

For an off road truck not essential, but can be annoying without it

As fridge says Megasquirt it and bin the lucarse nightmares

:lol:

Nige

• 3 years later...

Hello i am also doing these project i am iterested in knowing the parts nunber for two split cables and the transducer although mine is a 110 pick-up.

Thank you in advance

The box type transducer is AMR3386

this is link to one of the two cables http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-DISCOVERY-RANGE-ROVER-SPEEDO-CABLE-V8-EFI-/371274974734?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5671b6860e

this is link to other

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upper-Speedo-Cable-Range-Rover-Classic-/271643163002?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f3f31b97a

HTSH

IIRC as you have jogged my memory , (it was about 20yrs ago !) I was in Australia when i did the 3.9 conversion , and think i used the bottom cable to transducer, but had to get a short cable made up for the speedo to transducer, as the rangy top one wasnt compatible . In UK these people should be able to help , I used them even further back for another conversion . http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/index.html

HTSH

When I converted mine to EFI, I used the short RR cable which goes from the transfer box to the transducer and then a speedo cable from an NAS 90/110 which connects straight from the transducer direct to the speedo. Cables are the right length. Got my cables from the main dealer with no issues despite being for NAS. They were abit pricy from memory but saved so much faffing about!!

When I converted mine to EFI, I used the short RR cable which goes from the transfer box to the transducer and then a speedo cable from an NAS 90/110 which connects straight from the transducer direct to the speedo. Cables are the right length. Got my cables from the main dealer with no issues despite being for NAS. They were abit pricy from memory but saved so much faffing about!!

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I'm doing the same thing, infact I've been working on my V8i D90 for years and been collecting parts since I started 10years ago. For a long time now I've had a rectangular block speed transducer and its btacket tht fit down by the gearbox, the sort cable that goes between that and the box and the long one that goes betwwn that and the speedo head. Believe it came off a rangi but was an ebay buy if I remember right.

Now that I'm at the stage of fitting it I've found that even though it fits the speedo drive of mw LT230 (also from a rangrover) it does not drive and turns out wont fit my speedo anyway. On investigation I've found that the cable and also the tranducer have a 2.5mm square drive end yet the gearbox drive and the defender cable I also got have 3mm square drives.

Has anyone else come across this and are the parts spoken about above (The box type transducer is AMR3386) correct?

any help welcome