Driving lamps

JeffR

You can only have "two driving lights" ie dipped headlamps on at any time , other than in conditions of reduced vis , (below 100m) when you can have a pair of "fog lights " on as well.

Auxiliary lights , that can be on with main beam , must be wired so that they go out when selecting dipped headlamps.

"daylight running lamps" must be wired so that on selecting headlamps they reduce in brightness

Any lights must be maintained that they do not cause dazzle to other drivers , inconsiderate use of any lights could result in prosecution (various legislation) HTSH

<Massive rant>

I absolutely can't stand DRLs. What is the point of lights so bright as to dazzle oncoming traffic in the daytime?

some manufacturers have got them right, but too many have missed the mark by miles.

</Rant>

<Massive rant>

I absolutely can't stand DRLs. What is the point of lights so bright as to dazzle oncoming traffic in the daytime?

some manufacturers have got them right, but too many have missed the mark by miles.

</Rant>

Actually looking to improve dipped beam (done the relay conversion), where I live most driving is done on very bendy single track roads, full beam is a waste of space, so I either do the naughty and use a pair of upside down fogs (plod will not be a happy bunny), install some floods (not convinced) or........... I drive slower (wheres the fun in that?)....

Dip-beam only allows 2 lights: the plonkers who insist on driving in traffic with their "front fog-lights" on when on dip-beam are likely to have me shoot 600-watts of main-beam-and-auxiliary-lights at them in reply.

DRLs [thankfully now mandatory on all post-2011 UK/Euro type-approved vehicles] are a different matter: they're not fitted with any kind of focussed 'projector' lenses/reflectors so unlike 'ftont fog-lights' they don't dazzle you when you're 100 feet away from them.

[At least these days we don't get people driving round on rural roads at night with only feeble-glow-worm-power 'dim-dip' lights showing, in the strange delusion that such 'lights' are adequate tom announce your presence at 70MPH].

humming and barring about whacking some KC sealed beam units in the spots (55w) and illegally wiring them via a three way switch so that I can have em on with dip, on with full or off, don't know, will have to think about this a bit more.

Actually looking to improve dipped beam (done the relay conversion), where I live most driving is done on very bendy single track roads, full beam is a waste of space

I generally drive similar single/dual bendy-roads with buggerall other traffic: I jutst couldn't do this on dip-beam or I'd be up the hedge. Properly set up normal-beams are just fine: my trick is to aim them so the 'hot-spot' where the two beams converge is about 80 yards in front. Readjust them whrn it's MoT-time.

I have a pair of 130-watt PIAA lamps to provide near-field infill.

<Massive rant>

</Rant>

Not only motorists but pedestrians as well. I cover my eyes with one habnd and point at the car with the other. I haven't had a police car stop YET....

I generally drive similar single/dual bendy-roads with buggerall other traffic: I jutst couldn't do this on dip-beam or I'd be up the hedge. Properly set up normal-beams are just fine: my trick is to aim them so the 'hot-spot' where the two beams converge is about 80 yards in front. Readjust them whrn it's MoT-time.

I have a pair of 130-watt PIAA lamps to provide near-field infill.

Trouble is in Northumberland, God kinda got bored and put all his sore hilly bits on the back roads, as a consequence, most of the time full beam illuminates the sky, then you crash and burn and die.......Even bloody worse when there's snow on the ground!

Not only motorists but pedestrians as well. I cover my eyes with one habnd and point at the car with the other. I haven't had a police car stop YET....

When I lived in Devon, got stopped once for having headlamps that were too dim (on the way back from passing the MOT), once for having headlamps that were not "adjusted" properly (dragged the miserable sod to the local MOT station and had him watch while they were checked on the beam thingy - got a very grudging apology, then two days later he stopped me again for having side light bulbs that were too bright, they weren't, but I had upset him), so I'm kinda paranoid about lights in general and, this may sound twee, but I hate being inconsiderate.....

After following some recommendations from the Candlepower forum, I fitted some Wipac Crystal reflectors, Phillips extreme vision lamps and the relay upgrade. They are the best legal headlights I have used, even compared to 110watt bulbs with the relay upgrade.

Its not just the power but the colour and beam spread that makes all the difference.

I'm just about to remove the driving lights as they just aren't needed.

humming and barring about whacking some KC sealed beam units in the spots (55w) and illegally wiring them via a three way switch so that I can have em on with dip, on with full or off, don't know, will have to think about this a bit more.

I had them wired so I could switch them on any time when I had spots on my 88, but I took them off about 4 years ago

You can only have "two driving lights" ie dipped headlamps on at any time , other than in conditions of reduced vis , (below 100m) when you can have a pair of "fog lights " on as well.

Auxiliary lights , that can be on with main beam , must be wired so that they go out when selecting dipped headlamps.

"daylight running lamps" must be wired so that on selecting headlamps they reduce in brightness

Any lights must be maintained that they do not cause dazzle to other drivers , inconsiderate use of any lights could result in prosecution (various legislation) HTSH

On my old Vauxhall Omega the driving lamps were able to be switched on with the side lights they would stay on with both dipped and high beam, they were not front fog lights and came like that from the factory so perfectly legal.

[Well, did a silly thing when I got home from the pub and bought a few of these cheap and nasties:

attachment=49804:$(KGrHqF,!qsFGhQbe(vrBRwJEuz)pw~~60_12.jpg]

They arrived today and low and behold they are chinese copies of these:

post-25095-0-27645700-1390666742_thumb.jpg

The casings are pretty good, but the lenses don't inspire confidence! However in my box of junk useful stuff I had a spare genuine KC spot lamp sealed beam unit, and well you gotta see if it will fit haven't you? It does, so just ordered a couple to fit ...

Will run the copies in parallel with the KCunits and see what happens.

Mind you KC must be mightily upset at such blatant copies of their products being available....

Also found 4 Cibie 5 3/4inch full beam units (WTF did I buy them to do?) which with a bit of fiddling may also be persuaded to fit.

post-25095-0-39527400-1390666568_thumb.jpg