Puma Tdci wont start

My 09 Puma engine 110 CSW wont start’

It turns over enthusiastically – but wont fire.

When this has happened before the problem (apparently) has been something to do with a relay under the driver’s seat. Something to with a poor connection, not necessarily needing a new relay.

It has had exactly the same fault 4 times before (when under the balance of the warranty) but due to a mix of circumstances I was never there when it was fixed So I don’t know exactly what relay and what to do about it.

Ideally Id like a permanent fix – this never happens at a convenient time!

Any help or advice welcome – Cheers

I'll try that - but I want a better long term cure - to make mattters worse (I was already late for work) I transfered all my junk into my wifes '89 VW camper

And then set off without remembering to disconnect the 240V extension charging the second battery – it was pointed out to me that I was dragging 100 feet of cable when I parked nose into the bay at the shop, this is when I discovered Id lost 1st 2nd and reverse gears, followed shortly by the discovery that I’d forgotten my mobile.

If it wasn’t raining Id have taken my series one!

Tried wiggling relays and so - no joy, can anybody identify which relay it is that is causing the problem

another symptom (and this was the case on previous occasions) is that the temp gauge goes right over to the end stop and stays there

anybody give me a good steer on what to do next?

cheers

Hi I have seen this on roadside breakdowns and its normally one of the relays under the seat.get someone to crank it whilst you wiggle the wires to the relays one at a time. You will find it then put a cable tie round the relay and the plug to pull the two together. That normally works well.

I've read about the temperature gauge issue elsewhere, from what I recall it can be related to a main relay fault and that's one of the ones located under the drivers seat. Have you actually taken each relay out in turn and checked / cleaned the connections?

Anyone you know have a fault code reader?

Tried wiggling relays and so - no joy, can anybody identify which relay it is that is causing the problem

another symptom (and this was the case on previous occasions) is that the temp gauge goes right over to the end stop and stays there

anybody give me a good steer on what to do next?

cheers

Please check carefully as there was a concern for the heat guage and your ECU must be checked for day and year manufactured, check with your local Land Rover Dealer, or if you have acsess to TOPIX check it out.

Swallowed my pride and summoned the Man in the Yellow Van - explained exactly what the problem was - and he was beaten for a while - But eventually it was fixed, and it was a crappy conection in the relay holder (which the main dealer didnt fix - 3 times) So we have now marked the relay, and have a part number ++08475 1C I assume its a pretty standard part an there will be quality equvelents available at a resonable price (and since the relay wasnt the proplem no great hurry to buy a spare) I'd tell you which relay it was but the Man in the Yellow Van kindly?? re-ordered them to "make it easier to get at" At least it starts now - been in some pretty remotre areas this afternoon.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom

cheers

• 7 months later...

I have just had the same problem, I noticed the engine check light wasn't lighting up when the ignition was turned on, turned out to be the middle relay in the back corner under the seat ( Australian model). Give it a clean and the check light comes on and it starts straight away..