Fitted elec-fan

I have the same fan, with the same motor, though i mounted it slightly differently, the middle terminal is a sense coil, it produces 12v when the fan is spinning.

I have the X-therm in the bottom hose, the thinking being I want the fan to come on when the radiator's not keeping up and providing enough cooling - there doens't seem to be much point turning the fan on just because the engine's pumping out hot water, if the radiator is quite happily cooling that water without any forced air flow.

Works for me.

P4200002.JPG

there doens't seem to be much point turning the fan on just because the engine's pumping out hot water

Mine is fitted in the top hose (the bottom hose is slightly distorted around the PAS so fitting there would be difficult). If the engine is pumping out hot water then the rad isn't pumping out cool enough water so the fan kicks in.

IMHO both locations are valid, just the switching temps would be different. Another common location for these intermotor temp switches on V8's is in thermostat housing, again a slightly different temp switch would be required.

Si as recommends bottom hose the temp sensor he supplies is suitable for that location.

Thanks for that guys, looks like the bottom hose then.

Luke, I cut the shroud so it fits on where the orignal one fitted and just welded 2 new bolts on the top to old it. I take it you use use the 12v from the fat to a warning light so you know its working?

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...