Disco R380 into Defender ?

I have a Td5 110, and see from Ashcroft that the hi revving on motorways can be lowered fitting a Disco transfer box (from 1.4 to 1.2)

Gearbox is a bit naff, so was looking at getting a Disco R380 and 230 transfer box and save having to split them.

On the Disco the transfer levers are in front of the main gearstick, but the defender is the other way around.

Can the items be swapped to get the Disco items into a Defender or should I just get both items from Ashcroft (expensive but reliable)..

Any suggestions...

I have a Td5 110, and see from Ashcroft that the hi revving on motorways can be lowered fitting a Disco transfer box (from 1.4 to 1.2)

Gearbox is a bit naff, so was looking at getting a Disco R380 and 230 transfer box and save having to split them.

On the Disco the transfer levers are in front of the main gearstick, but the defender is the other way around.

Can the items be swapped to get the Disco items into a Defender or should I just get both items from Ashcroft (expensive but reliable)..

Any suggestions...

You can't swap a Disco to a Defender R380 cos the shift mechanism and related internals are different and they can't be swapped over. In addition, the bellhousings and input shaft are different, longer on a Disco so its all a non starter. Transfer boxes can be swapped ok though. Its easy to split the boxes, 6 or so bolts, release the hi/lo/diff lock levers and pull apart - its a 10 min job.

Transfer boxes tend to last better than mains, so I'd get a recon r380 from Ashcrofts and a 2nd hand disco transfer.

Great stuff guys, the Disco stuff is still on Eblag and I have not bid..

The main reason for change is the transfer box whine (present in all gears but more noticeable in 4th & 5th) and with the Disco ratio should make motorway speeds easier on the ears and engine.

The main gearbox is 'notchy' think this is partly due to clutch which is right on the floor and the release bearing makes itself known (mostly on startup) changing down is the worst, and getting into gears can be very difficult (downshift only) so I thought whilst its off the road with the transfer box and clutch, might as well look into changing the main box and not have any problems. (the vehicle has covered 118k (its a 2002 110).

Ill see about getting a transfer box from a Disco and the main from Ashcroft (never had any thing but good advice and products from them in the past).

Thanks for the update

Oooher, fitting geary things in to gearbox myself and expecting vehicle to move in correct direction afterwards.... :D

£225.00 for gears

£ 25.00 for gasket set

£ 60.00 for bearing set

£310.00 all in

or

£395.00 for exch remanufactured unit....

Hmmmm, let me see

I agree with western on that

Ashcroft`s stuff is really top notch

I have a disco 300TDi, R380 & T/box in mine - nice but if i had done it from scratch myself i would have sourced a Defender R380 & as metioned a disco T/box

if you want to really have fun go the whole hog and get a full-width intercooler etc and then you will have a really sweet running set-up! Thats not thirsty either

happy trails

Abe