defender 90 td5 mudflaps

I have had a defender 90 td5 new in 2003,after 30ks the rear mudflaps split across the tops,still under warranty so dealer fitted new ones,now done 60 ks,split again.HAS ANY ONE HAD THIS PROBLEM ? Is there and after market clone,or someway to make new ones,although I rather like the land rover embosed emblem.

I have a 2003 td5 90 also and it suffers exactly the same issue, when i bought it the passenger side one was on its way out - reckon due to how insanely close it is to exhaust so the dealer replaced it pre purchase.

6 thousand miles later on the way to september show at peterbourough i lost driver side one on the forth road bridge at edinburgh! Got halfway home and on a fuel stop i realised the not very old driver side one was being melted by heat of exhaust gas - something to do with nice steady 70mph towing caravan i reckon!!!!!!

So now got another set on, waiting to see how long they last!

I'm in the process of modifing a rear set. I've removed the steel brackets, and replaced them with Stainless, just waiting on some 1" Stainless piano Hinge, and some chain to stop them from riding up the wheels, when reversing. That way they can swing in the wind.

I'm in the process of modifing a rear set. I've removed the steel brackets, and replaced them with Stainless, just waiting on some 1" Stainless piano Hinge, and some chain to stop them from riding up the wheels, when reversing. That way they can swing in the wind.

exactly what I did. Angled the hinge down and bent the end over, pin easy to remove and store the mudflaps when getting down and dirty :D

sounds good, if you have any pictures of this mod, would you like to write up a short article for the Tech Archive.

i modified mine for off roading by removing them and cutting a section off the top and the refitting them (you could cut it off the bottom but it would look tattier) now being shorter they cant catch up under the tyres but still do the jod. i also cut out a larger hole for the exhaust side of it.

if your have split why not cut a new top section and refit them, just making them shorter? if you find you have too much spray as they are too short then buy new ones in the meantime nothing lost.

Western asked if I would take a few pictures when I did the mod, I mentioned earlier.

I was waiting until I had the new mudflaps but since I had nothing better to do, I thought I get on with it and use the old ones to show how I a was going to carry out the mod.

First off I used one of the old brackets as a template to fab up some new stainless steel versions.

post-4497-1197743814_thumb.jpg

As you can see the fitted mudflap can now swivel backwards, but as the hinge only opens one way the Mudflap cannot bend forward.

So not a lot to it really. I don't expect everyone has access to stainless steel sheet or hinges, so instead of removing the stock brackets, you could bolt or use pop rivets to fix a pair of 2 or3" butt hinges to the top of the bracket and then fix the hinge to the crossmember. Not as nice but will serve the same purpose

post-4497-1197744343_thumb.jpg

post-4497-1197744371_thumb.jpg

they should be heavy enough to not rise up at speed, & the hinges could be tightened up to make it less chance of happening.

???? so how come they split in the first place then if they dont rise up with speed? unless you have weighted them, just looked like std ones to me.

& the hinges could be tightened up to make it less chance of happening.

good point, but then whats the point of having a hinge if it wont flex?

If you have ever followed a Land Rover you'll know yourself the Mudflaps end up almost Horizontal. At least with a hinge, they can do so without placing a strain on the Flap, which causes the cracks. Time will tell I suppose.

As for riding up when reversing, unless its in mud/rutt's I don't think this will happen, as it is I'm going to modify the pin, so it can be removed, the Mudflaps can then be taken off when Offroading

As for riding up when reversing, unless its in mud/rutt's I don't think this will happen, as it is I'm going to modify the pin, so it can be removed, the Mudflaps can then be taken off when Offroading

thats a good idea so you have quick release mud flaps.

I just dont follow the first bit of why have mud flaps that rise up behind you as on a hinge they are more likely to rise up(no resistance from the material), they are doing less when they are up so overall the flaps are less effective as they spend less time in an effective position. no convinced yet i think i will stick with the shorter flaps, less SA so less chance of rising up and sufficiently big enough to keep the majority of the cr*p off the back of the motor down these parts.

Each to their own.

As someone already said, using 'pit belt' which is heavy duty convenyor belt (used in coal pits?) are much thicker and stronger as they are woven then dipped in rubber rather than just straight forward rubber,

also pit belt is so much heavier it wouldnt flex much so the cracking from too much flex is out the question.