Washer Jets ....

My washer jets are like those flimsy water pistols that were around in the 70's. They are so weak that a stong side wind will blow them both across one side of the windscreen.

I was inspired to see if I can improve them after pulling up behind a '03 90 - when low and behold he seemed to have a proper spray from his jets ... like a normal car! ??

Did they get updated at a certain point?

Can they be retro-fitted?

Failing that on checking my nozzle its actually snapped - and the front can be pulled off. When pushed on though it doesn't vibrate loose and there doesn't seem to be any leaks .... so I'm not sure if this is contributing to the jets being rubbish .....?

I don't think so though..

Any pointers or info please folks?

fitted 2 x 2 jet to my 110 a while ago, on the bulkhead you might have 2 grommets, remove the dashtop padded rail, wiper arms/blades & the central existing washer jet unit,

note the front have a longer tube than the rear version.

fit one new jet unit to each of the 2 holes, shove one of the grommets in the central hole, with new washer tubing & a T piece & nrv replumb so the tube from the wash tank comes to the centre & then connect each jet unit to the cross bar ot the T piece, refit dashtop & set the jets up with a pin or straightened paper clip, refit wiper arms/blades, job done. :D

my 2 new washer jet units [now have 4 wash jets onto screen] just above the green lines & the old central hole/grommet above the orange line.

post-20-1242340848_thumb.jpg

You probably have something plugged. Pull it apart and back blow the nozzles and "one way" valve.

I used to have 2x2, but found it a little weak. I've changed to 2x1. A double on teh driver's side and single on the other. They squirt quite hard.

i intend to upgrade the washer jets on my 90 - as like most other people, they either go over the roof or just hit the wiper arm and dribble or drill 2 pointless little spots on the screen just below the lowest point of the wipers stroke. Useless and dangerous on the motorway.

One of the chaps in YORC has inspired me with his squirty upgrade on his rangerover and i dont see why it wouldnt work on a defender. And there would be an additional plus point to the squirters being on the bonnet as well, in winter the engine will warm up the pipework and nozzles quicker and thaw them out!

post-2947-1242376442_thumb.jpg

post-2947-1242376466_thumb.jpg

post-2947-1242376475_thumb.jpg

If you do that, be careful not to put them too far from the screen or at motorway speeds the spray will simply be diverted over / round the car and miss the screen completely. You'll also need to use a high capacity pump like the rrc / disco headlight washer ones and appropiately sized tubing. And I think the big pumps need 12v, where as the little defender ones work on less so you get a weak spray.

How do I know all this? Done it on my hybrid and got it all wrong!

I followed the advice posted by western ages ago, but i went one further and bought 2 new twin washer put them in the holes covered by grommets. Then used two T pipes and connected them up along with the original twin jet, now i get 6 strong jets of water flooding the screen (just a pitty the wipers are not as good).

• 2 weeks later...
Failing that on checking my nozzle its actually snapped - and the front can be pulled off. When pushed on though it doesn't vibrate loose and there doesn't seem to be any leaks .... so I'm not sure if this is contributing to the jets being rubbish .....?

It was contributing. I replaced the jets with a new one and its made a difference.

Don't get me wrong they won't knock a cyclist off his bike - but they are a lot better.

So even though I wasn't losing water through the crack in my old jets I must have been losing air pressure.