GKN Overdrive - problems

JST

Had the overdrive fitted for 60k miles and upto last Thur they have been trouble free.

It had a problem engaging at 50mph in 5th or 40mph in 4th, if the speed was increased (eg 55-60) in 5th it would engage, 45mph+ in fourth.

it is not gear dependant.

when travelling at around 50-55mph in 5th with overdrive in if you come off the accelerator the overdrive was coming out and then engaging again, so the engine surged/jumped, it would continue to do this until the accerlerator was pressed and you increased speed again. it only did it with the overdrive engaged to its not an engine issue.

the gearstick led did not come on or flaash as it noramlly does if you select overdrive at too low a gear.

overdrive was also hesitant to engage/come out with switch operation as speeds it worked at before.

I am assuming therefore that the speed sensor is knackered. any ideas on supplier (ok GKN but contact nos?) and MPN, price?

Fri/Sat/Sun - it has been fine though, but i feel it may be prudent to get a spare sensor in jst in case it goes again.

Thoughts?

I am assuming therefore that the speed sensor is knackered. any ideas on supplier (ok GKN but contact nos?) and MPN, price?

Fri/Sat/Sun - it has been fine though, but i feel it may be prudent to get a spare sensor in jst in case it goes again.

Thoughts?

Just fitted mine this weekend so got paperwork in front of me.

Part no for mine is 119509/00/00

Tel no 0121 313 1661

From what I've read elsewhere, the speed sensors can play up but GKN have replacewd FOC. Also, when did you last change oil in it.

This is where i got mine !!

GKN Driveline Minworth

GKN Driveline Service Ltd

Unit 5, Kingsbury Business Park Minworth

Sutton Coldfield

West Midlands B76 9DL

United Kingdom

Tel: +44 121 313 1661

Fax: +44 121 313 2074

Email: ids.minworth@gkndriveline.com

GKN site

Or the previous Thread

cheers Tim and Sean, £60 though that seems a bit steep!

will have a look see.

oil gets changed every 12k, meant to be every 60k kms i think from memory for the GKN.

Oil is supposed to be every 55000km which seems high. Someone else had a problem that was sorted by changing oil after high mileage.

James, a little low tech but cheaper... How about dumping the ECU, speed sensor etc. and converting the OD to manual operation? I guess that the ECU is only an idiot filter to prevent he OD being engaged in 1st low and at low speeds? The overdrive itself must be engaged by means of a solenoid which, with a relay, could run from the switch on the stick and be made to operate the light too. Mind you, having seen the epic of you attempting to fit a CB radio... Perhaps I have misunderstood how these ODs work but Triumph owners managed for years without idiot filters. :)

Chris

James, a little low tech but cheaper... How about dumping the ECU, speed sensor etc. and converting the OD to manual operation? I guess that the ECU is only an idiot filter to prevent he OD being engaged in 1st low and at low speeds? The overdrive itself must be engaged by means of a solenoid which, with a relay, could run from the switch on the stick and be made to operate the light too. Mind you, having seen the epic of you attempting to fit a CB radio... Perhaps I have misunderstood how these ODs work but Triumph owners managed for years without idiot filters. :)

Chris

The ECU & speed sensor prevent engagement below 30mph, if the OD is engaged & the speed drops below 30 it automatically drops out, but if the switch is left in the on position, when speed increases above 30 it re-engages. also it cannot be used in 1st/2nd high or low range, to much torque would be put throught the OD, it's usable in 3/4/5 high as a OD & in 3/4 as a splitter gear similar to HGV gearboxes.

Chris/Tim thank you for your kind words and thoughts. i admit that electriclal (or mechanical for that matter) problems/solutions are not my forté.

If we are going to be pedantic though:

Chris - tour wing after BDRD looks like it needs readjusting

and Tim -

overheating, viscouse, fan shroud, doors, wings, snorkel, arches.....

where do we start!

• 3 weeks later...

overdrive is currently working - touch wood.

but i know the speed sensor is not at its healthiest (but then its Christmas and neither am I!)

if it fails, surely you could just connec the two wires that go into the sensor and this would tell the OD ECU thing that the speed was great enough, you would then just need to make sure you were over 30mph before engaging and remeber to take it out as it wouldnt auto disengage as the vehicle would think it was over 30mph even when stationary.

(this is assuming that the sensor works like that!!!!! i have no idea)

thoughts?

Tim - once you have fitted your overdrive for the Pyrenees trip coudl i borrow the vehicle please, no particular reason.....

??? think of a nice sob story, and will see what I can do :unsure:

The OD will be fitted for the trip, then sold on again on return, already have a friend who is first in the list !!