Which dampers (shock absorbers)?

I replaced mine on the 110 several years ago using Armstrong OE shocks (and proper LR springs all round)- they were inexpensive and have been splendid. I think they were £15 each or maybe less. Very happy with the ride on and off road (although my 'offroad' is usually forest tracks & deerstalking hill tracks and the odd field rather than epics)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2021 at 3:50 AM, tommobot said:

What's the general consensus on the bilstein b6 and standard springs for a defender 110, mainly road use.

Looks like I can get the lot for circa £350 which seems good value for a decent brand!

If it is a non county version (that is, no load leveller) they will be fine and are a good dampener. They do have somewhat of a reputation of being a little harsh (low speed bump valving) The others to consider are Koni. They offer a bolt in range in their 82 series, and based on their truck range, 90 series. Some people have found 88 series (bigger piston/cylinder than the 82 but a touch smaller than the 90) and had them valved to LR specs. 

3 hours ago, tommobot said:

Where are the koni's available from...

A quick Google I could only find heavy duty ones, that were only suitable for a circa 40mm lift

Sorry mate, I’m in Australia. They are easy to get hold of here last time I checked. Funnily a lot of Aussies were importing the 90 series Raids from the UK as they were cheaper.

I always choose Fox shocks, tried them once and now fit them on all my Land Rovers :D Certainly not the cheapest (even pretty expensive) but worth it. Right now I'm installing them on my military together with OME springs. 

6 minutes ago, hurbie said:

i replaced the broken koni's on my 110 (shaft broke on one) with Terafirma Commercial Heavy duty one's. the rod's are almost twice as thick as the koni's they replaced (20mm for the terrafirma) .

they work ok and don't need a morgage to fit . (https://terrafirma4x4.com/commercial-hd-rear-standard-travel-shock-def-d1-rrc.html

Interesting they are only 40mm piston (according to the specs) that’s under done compared with standard shocks from Bilstein/Koni let alone the bigger versions or starting into off road shocks 

1 hour ago, Landy7 said:

I always choose Fox shocks, tried them once and now fit them on all my Land Rovers :D Certainly not the cheapest (even pretty expensive) but worth it. Right now I'm installing them on my military together with OME springs. 

Fox had/have a great reputation. They use to just do pro shocks, then added a second, lower range but still quite good. It seems the last couple years has seen them reduce custom service of their pro shocks (though still support racers) and have gone hard in the OEM fitment world with shocks that are a fair bit away from their pro shocks. 

12 minutes ago, uninformed said:

Interesting they are only 40mm piston (according to the specs) that’s under done compared with standard shocks from Bilstein/Koni let alone the bigger versions or starting into off road shocks 

Dare I say it, I'm not surprised. I wouldn't fit anything Terrustyfirma suspension wise even if I was paid to. Someone on here calculated the actual cost of making one of their shocks and it was only £5 or something hilarious :lol: 

25 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Dare I say it, I'm not surprised. I wouldn't fit anything Terrustyfirma suspension wise even if I was paid to. Someone on here calculated the actual cost of making one of their shocks and it was only £5 or something hilarious :lol: 

Something else to think about is cylinder bore size vs shaft size. Displacing more area for less oil and it also affects valving. Not something I’d want in a dampener.