Defender exhaust advice

DavyG

I fiddled with removing silencers on my mild steel exhaust. Too noisy for me with any removed so when I had the SS exhaust made, they put in two silencers in the standard positions. They said they were high flow silencers, although I'm not sure exactly what that means! Performance is good, sound is good and I never have to change another rusty exhaust again!

• Like 1

Typically the back box doesn't do much in the way of silencing, it just removes some of the resonant frequencies. I removed mine, on a V8, and the sound didn't get any louder but it had a different note to it.

With a straight through exhaust fitted it isn't just how much noise you are subjected to but how much you affect those around you, it might be quite an issue for them. A friend lives in harrogate wherein there are any number of german and italian cars fitted with gobshyte exhausts. The noise gets quite irritating, quite quickly

Edited by neil110

Cheers guys...!!!

Was maybe going to go for a small centre box and nothing at the back.  Looked at something similar from a UK based "performance" exhaust company.....  but I can't see the £450 price tag!!!  The off the shelf stuff gets some awful reviews.  Hopefully someone on here can give me some good suggestions. ??

I've got a "Double S exhaust" and its rubbish, poor quality boxes that are full of glass fibre - it melted and turned to pebbles in my rear box and rattled like hell, also the flange joints are only mild steel and the actual tubing must be such a low grade of stainless you'd never guess it actually was a Stainless exhaust.

I'm going to make my own next time!

32 minutes ago, Maverik said:

I've got a "Double S exhaust" and its rubbish, poor quality boxes that are full of glass fibre - it melted and turned to pebbles in my rear box and rattled like hell, also the flange joints are only mild steel and the actual tubing must be such a low grade of stainless you'd never guess it actually was a Stainless exhaust.

I'm going to make my own next time!

Quite agree, Double S exhausts are rubbish, they barely fit, the welds crack and the customer service is laughable. When I told them I was having problems fitting it, they invited me to drive the 320 miles to their workshop so they could fit it. Though they pointed out that there was nothing they could, or would, do about the fact that the tail pipe exited at exactly the same position as the rear mudflap was fitted.

I subsequently went to PD Gough near Nottingham and for not a great deal more had a proper stainless exhaust fabricated and fitted to the vehicle on the spot. Guaranteed for ever as well

If you have a decent condition puma standard exhaust, I'd probably chop out the middle box and put a straight through one in. The standard LR exhaust is very heavy duty and the middle silencer is massive. If you don't want to chop up your exhaust, you can get new take off ones on ebay very cheap, you could then take it to a custom exhaust place and try a range of silencers to find one that suits your ears :)