9.00x16

knoxy13

On 14/5/2017 at 7:46 PM, knoxy13 said:

hey, greetings from Portugal, need some help, thinking of fitting my 2,25 series III 88" with 9.00x16 tyres, but don t know if their too big, i could use some help

thanks

I've been running 900's on various Series and they are just the perfect size for a leafer IMO! great gearing for the longer roadtrips and ups the offroad performance quite a bit :) 

1- ton shackles as Fridge mentions and leafs in good condition will just about let you fit them, but a bit of trimming is necessary in both the front and rear wings/fenders

On 14/05/2017 at 6:46 PM, knoxy13 said:

hey, greetings from Portugal, need some help, thinking of fitting my 2,25 series III 88" with 9.00x16 tyres, but don t know if their too big, i could use some help

thanks

As others have mentioned, the 109 One Ton model came standard on 9.00 x 16 tyres. As did all of the Land Rover Forward Controls (Series 2b and 101).

However the 109 One Ton was lifted from the factory, it has a different spring mount and a longer shackle.

Fitting longer shackles is easy, but you will slightly alter the pinion angle of the diff, hence why LR also changed the mounting points. But for most people it's not a big deal to just run the shackles.

However be warned, 9.00 x 16 tyres are rare and there is very little choice in tread patterns and they are also expensive. They also vary in height considerably. I've seen some hardly anymore than 33" tall, while others are 36" tall.

I believe Michelin have often cited a 225/100 16 as a 'similar' size. According to the maths these should result in 33.72" tall.

I say this, as obviously 36" tall tyres are going to be huge on a Series. And they will affect gearing, performance and risk of axle breakages.

This is my Series, I'm currently running some Michelin XZL 8.25 x 16 tyres. This are even rarer and fall in between the common 7.50 x 16 and the 9.00 x 16. These are significantly taller than a 7.50 x 16 XZL and are taller than 235/85R16's by an inch or so.

6C291E5B-8AA1-4EDD-8BC0-B9CB8FD809D5.jpg

I'll be honest and say, I think a 9.00 x 16 is it was taller than the 8.25's (which it should be), then it'd be a little too tall unless you have beefed up axles and plenty of power.

When the 8.25's are worn out, I'll probably have to replace them with 255/85R16's as the closest modern size, although they are fair chunk wider.

That looks nice on those 8.25's chicken drumstick , did you get them from L W Vass ? A mate has a set on an old 101 ambulance body which work well enough but look a bit skinny under all that LandRover .

Many years ago Staff Dovey had an 80" with a 1t transfer box running on re-cut 900-16 bar grips and fairly low ride height - just high enough to clear the bodywork ...he never seemed to get stuck in that little machine

cheers

Steve b

I'm not sure where the tyres came from, but might well have been Vass. I have One Ton rims that came from their and are moderately local to me. My Uncle sourced the tyres a good number of years ago. We have 5, one brand new with the little knobbles on the tread still. 2 part worn and 2 a bit more worn.

I'd love to find an extra 1 to replace the most worn pair. But no luck and I suspect silly money. I did speak to someone who reckoned they could source them, but would need a few months lead time and I think was coming in at over £400 a tyre!!

Bar grips look cool, not too sure about their road manners though. But I do keep thinking about getting some for my other Land Rover.

You don't want bar grips.

I drove the 109 to Russia and back on (sort of) bar grips - actually 9.00x16 Petlas:

IMG_7115.jpg

Dirtydiesel was ahead of me in the convoy in a 300TDi RRC  with no interior/soundproofing, he said he spent hours on the road trying to find the odd noise his truck was making - dipping the clutch, turning things on & off, etc. etc... eventually we pulled into a petrol station, and as I rolled to a halt behind him he realised it was my tyres he could hear!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I used 9.00x16's on my 88" for a long time but I'm switching to 255/85-16's. The 9.00's are heavy (just the tyre weighs 45Kg each), expensive  €300+. limited availability and they are made for vehicles weighing 4000+ Kg (so comfort is limited). The 255/85 weighs about 25 Kg or less (saving 100Kg on the car), cost €200 or less, readily available and made for lighter vehicles.

Also the taller 9.00 really alters the final drive ratio. You need a serious engine with some extra torque to pull it.