Where to go?

snailracer

So where would you go?

We're thinking europe but aren't really sure where to go. Quite fancy heading to the pyrenees but eastern euope also looks cool (slovenia croatia etc).

Anyone got any really good recommendations? (subjective I know but...)

Its in a 110 300tdi with roof tent and some bells and whistles :) (not a ******* fiat panda :blink: ).

Cheers

Snailracer

So where would you go?

We're thinking europe but aren't really sure where to go. Quite fancy heading to the pyrenees but eastern euope also looks cool (slovenia croatia etc).

Its in a 110 300tdi with roof tent and some bells and whistles :) (not a ******* fiat panda :blink: ).

Cheers

Snailracer

If you do go East, Slovenia is lovely as is Hungary, especially around lake Balaton. If you go further east into Romania, I may be in Transylvania in February. I have a plot of land in a village. You could camp there if you wanted. It is behind a fence with double gates and my inlaws run a small shop next door for supplies.

Cheers,

Paul.

So where would you go?

Cheers

Snailracer

well personally where i am

I would take a trip over the simpson desert and over to Coper pedy. Then up to Alice springs and come back via Birdsville and the Birdsville track :)

But what about Morroco. Take a ferry down to Prtugaul and then not far from the ferry then

you could head down towards southern spain, and catch the ferry from Algecerias to Ceuta in Morocco, you could spend as much time as you like doing Morocco, there are so many tracks and trails, the Atlas mountains are amazing, and you could have a bit of fun in the sand aswell.

Morocco is ok for lone travel, all major towns have a garage, and you'll be able to get things fixed if the need arrises...

campsites are as little as £2 per night, and fuel was around 55p per litre in august this year.

you could head down towards southern spain, and catch the ferry from Algecerias to Ceuta in Morocco, you could spend as much time as you like doing Morocco, there are so many tracks and trails, the Atlas mountains are amazing, and you could have a bit of fun in the sand aswell.

Morocco is ok for lone travel, all major towns have a garage, and you'll be able to get things fixed if the need arrises...

campsites are as little as £2 per night, and fuel was around 55p per litre in august this year.

What were the campsites like, facilities, safety etc?

HHmmmm... the campsites were.. variable... some were realy nice, and others pretty rough.

security was never realy an issue, i felt safer in Morocco than i do in London, and i've lived here all my life.

if you take all the right steps, locking your car, not leaving things lying about, you will be fine.

there were a few kids lurking about in a couple of the campsites but if you go and complain, they chase them away as they're bad for repeat business.

most of the campsites did food, but the toilet facilities often left a bit to be desired....

we stayed at a hotel every third or forth night just to have a nice warm shower and use a proper loo...

having said that, i would certainly camp again, as we stayed at a couple of belters, but would also break it up with hotels from time to time.

all the campsite staff were realy friendly, they are trying to encourage 4x4 tourists as we are good for business.

m@tt.

Thanks Matt,

Where were the 'couple of belters'?

I am keeping a folder on my laptop for all the recommendations, to build up a bit of a picture of Europe and North Africa. Will come in useful when touring. I find a lot of the camp site guides misleading as often written by the sites themselves then they pay for a submission into guide. Nothing like, and you can't beat personal recommendation.

Cheers,

Paul.

security was never realy an issue, i felt safer in Morocco than i do in London, and i've lived here all my life.

if you take all the right steps, locking your car, not leaving things lying about, you will be fine.

Matt

I'v e been thinking about going to Morrocco for a while , Did you visit any the cities (ie Marrakech) if so what was the security like there? as i've been told to be wary of leaving a vehicle unattended.

Matt

I'v e been thinking about going to Morrocco for a while , Did you visit any the cities (ie Marrakech) if so what was the security like there? as i've been told to be wary of leaving a vehicle unattended.

MMM..MORROCCO!!!! I'm off 27th Dec, it's an incredible adventure, easy to plan, easy to go, Marrakech is a"must do" leave your truck at the campsite/hotel and get a taxi in, booze is the only dear thing in Morroco take it with you. buy local food, bread etc it's a great way to off road, as always be security minded, there is always some armpit who wants to spoil your day, whatever you decide, have fun, Best regards Billy Westley

Matt

I've been thinking about going to Morrocco for a while , Did you visit any the cities (ie Marrakech) if so what was the security like there? as i've been told to be wary of leaving a vehicle unattended.

we did visit some cities, we stayed in Fes, but stayed in a hotel just outside town that had its own carpark and security.

most 'city campsites' are basically walled compounds so are fairly secure to leave your vehicle....

if you leave it 'unattended' make sure theres nothing fixed to the outside (like shovels or jerry cans) that can easily be removed..and make sure you lock and alarm it whenever you park it up... if you do that you should be fine... we never really felt uneasy about leaving the trucks, most kids that are hanging abuot only want pens or sweets, and most teenagers want a fag...

Thanks Matt,

Where were the 'couple of belters'?

Cheers,

Paul.

there is a realy nice campsite in Midelt, south of Fes, its signposted from the mainroad, and was cleaner and nicer than most european ones... :)

the Nomad palace in Mazouga is alright, and the food was ok... they have basic rooms which are nice aswell, and en-suite... the Erg Chebbi dunes back onto the site ;)

the city campsite in Meknes was alright, but the toilets and facilities were pretty duff.... <_<

there is a pretty reasonable city campsite in Zagora, which i woulds stay at again, (nice food) but we got hastled a bit by people trying to sell us stuff and take us out to show us 'the old Jewish medina' which basically involved being taken to a carpet shop and intimidated a bit. <_<

Zagora also has a few garages that will do work on landrovers for a very good price...

if you can find it, theres an awesome hotel just outside Boulemaine Dades that has caves you can hire for £40 per night... highly recommended.... :)

check the seals on any bottled water you buy, we got stiched up in Mazouga and sold some bottles that had been refilled from the tap, some of us then got realy ill and i needed a trip to the doctors to fix it when i got home!! :angry:

Morocco is awesome, and a fantastic place to take a landrover.. the border crossing at Ceuta can be a bit frustrating, and takes a while but if you've got your paperwork in order, its pretty straightforward.. just beware of people offering to 'help you with your passport' as they'll try to get money out of you at some point...

when you get there.... you get to drive places like this...

med_gallery_169_179_50182.jpg

which makes it all worthwhile...

there is a realy nice campsite in Midelt, south of Fes, its signposted from the mainroad, and was cleaner and nicer than most european ones... :)

the Nomad palace in Mazouga is alright, and the food was ok... they have basic rooms which are nice aswell, and en-suite... the Erg Chebbi dunes back onto the site ;)

the city campsite in Meknes was alright, but the toilets and facilities were pretty duff.... <_<

there is a pretty reasonable city campsite in Zagora, which i woulds stay at again, (nice food) but we got hastled a bit by people trying to sell us stuff and take us out to show us 'the old Jewish medina' which basically involved being taken to a carpet shop and intimidated a bit. <_<

Zagora also has a few garages that will do work on landrovers for a very good price...

if you can find it, theres an awesome hotel just outside Boulemaine Dades that has caves you can hire for £40 per night... highly recommended.... :)

check the seals on any bottled water you buy, we got stiched up in Mazouga and sold some bottles that had been refilled from the tap, some of us then got realy ill and i needed a trip to the doctors to fix it when i got home!! :angry:

Morocco is awesome, and a fantastic place to take a landrover.. the border crossing at Ceuta can be a bit frustrating, and takes a while but if you've got your paperwork in order, its pretty straightforward.. just beware of people offering to 'help you with your passport' as they'll try to get money out of you at some point...

when you get there.... you get to drive places like this...

which makes it all worthwhile...

Thanks for the information, very informative