Which wheels for Simex?

Lewis

The 110 trayback (aka that horrible yellow thing) is fitted with 35/10.50 tyres on 8spoke rims. Being a 110 it already has the turning circle (and stopping distance) of a supertanker, and the large tyres are only making it worse - at nowhere near full-lock the side tread on the tyres rub the radius arms :(

We need to buy a 5th tyre and rim so I thought it would be best to change all of the wheels at once. Can anyone recommend a cheap steel wheel with a greater offset? The budget wont stretch to Mach 5's, nor would i want to risk treating them in the same way that i would an cheap rim - smashing a 30quid 8spoke/modular wouldnt bother me too much

Lewis

Be aware that modulars / 8-spokes come in a range of offsets - have a look at where the disc lands on the hoop (on your wheel, if that makes any sense), and then you're into grappling with whether your measurement of offset is the same as everyone else uses...

Sorry, its probably definately me being a bit thick, but i didnt understand any of the above :rolleyes:

Probably me, it's Friday. Large-text version:

The schematic wheel is made of a disc (with holes in it for wheelnuts, hub etc) welded into a hoop which carries the tyre. Mangels make the 8-spoke in a range of offsets, I had a set from Sinton which were silly, 750 SAGs were outside the bodywork on a Series!

The budget wont stretch to Mach 5's, nor would i want to risk treating them in the same way that i would an cheap rim - smashing a 30quid 8spoke/modular wouldnt bother me too much

The whole point of Mach 5 rims is that a racer builds them for racers.

So they are tough.

You must try very hard to break a Matt Lee rim!

So they are tough.

Regardless of strength I can buy three 8 spoke/modulars for every one Mach 5, I find it hard to believe they could possibly be 3 times stronger. IMHO ~£120 for one wheel is ridiculously over priced. The aim of this truck is to be competitive for under £5grand and I cannot justify the best part of a thousand pounds on 5 (unpainted) wheels, possibly in the future but certainly not right now

The above seems to have come out as a bit of a rant but please dont take it that way, its just my very humble opinion, and all input is gratefully received :)

Lewis

So they are tough.

hmmm doesn't exactly tally with some of the stories I have heard about Mach 5's always worth doing a search on these things to find "a variety of opinions" ;)

I run 36/10.50x16 on modulars and had the same trouble with lock. I fitted 30mm spacers. I know people don't like them but they are the same as running a wheel with more offset as far as extra leverage over steering/wheel bearings are concerned. Ive heard people saying they come loose but I check mine every time I have the wheels off and they have never needed to be tightened. think it depends on how well you clean the hub before you fit them.

The problem I did find was the extra offset caused the tyre's to rub the bodywork everywhere but Ive tray backed it now and moved the front wheel arch's up 2 inch's.

I run 36/10.50x16 on modulars and had the same trouble with lock. I fitted 30mm spacers.

The problem I did find was the extra offset caused the tyre's to rub the bodywork everywhere but Ive tray backed it now and moved the front wheel arch's up 2 inch's.

Hmm, I had considered spacers but I always thought of them as a bit of a bodge - fixing the symptoms rather than curing the problem

Did you get steel or alluminium spacers? where were they from and how much?

Clearance is not really an issue as its trayback with no arch spats on the front (they'll probably get replaced by some conveyor belt) plus the suspension doesnt seem to move - spring weights need investigating methinks

Hmm, I had considered spacers but I always thought of them as a bit of a bodge - fixing the symptoms rather than curing the problem

Did you get steel or alluminium spacers? where were they from and how much?

Clearance is not really an issue as its trayback with no arch spats on the front (they'll probably get replaced by some conveyor belt) plus the suspension doesnt seem to move - spring weights need investigating methinks

Spacers or changing the wheel offset / backspace has the same effect on the wheel bearing loads and scrub radius.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :)

Definitely have a look at the eight spokes. I've seen at least two different offsets on otherwise identical rims.

Has anyone got an supplier info on these?

Cheers :)

Lewis