Defender to be renamed??

Mean Green

I popped into my local stealer's part dept today. While I was there I wandered into the showroom to have a look at the new freebie. (Looks fairly nice BTW)

However, I got talking to the salesman, I asked about when the new Defender was due in the showroom. He reconned it would be available 1st week in March, with production starting in Feb.

However, he also said that according to the LR ordering system, the defender name was to be replaced by "Puma" to modernise the brand!!

All seems a it weird to me... surely Defender is a strong brand, esp with the Top Gear sub-zero rating, why change it?

Or... could it be (as I suspect) that the 2007 Defender is project "Puma" ... and the Defender name will live on.

Anyone "in the know" willing/able to comment??

SteveG beat me to it, Puma is just the engine code name. For example Lion refers to the diesel V6 and V8, AJV8 is the inaccurate name for the Jaguar derived 4.4 and 4.2 petrol V8 (should really be AJ42 and AJ48 etc). TD5 is Storm, 200 and 300tdi are both called Gemini, SI6 is the inline 6cyl petrol in new Freelander, DW12 is the 4cyl diesel in new Freelander, RV8 is (rather predicatbly) Rover V8, there are more that i cant remember

Lewis :)

just uneducated LR salesman, PUMA is the name of the type of transit engine going into the Defender, Defender PUMA is like referring to Defender TD5

Cheers

Steve

What that man said ^^^ :)

I bet they never throw away the Defender name whatever it ends up on it will still be Defender in 50 years!

just uneducated LR salesman, PUMA is the name of the type of transit engine going into the Defender, Defender PUMA is like referring to Defender TD5

Cheers

Steve

Uneducated Land Rover salesman. No never get them :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

There not salesmen anyway . They are order takers :)