Decent bench grinders - advice request

Gazzar

I have a cheap bench grinder, but it's gutless, so I am going to get something better.

I can get a Sealey 600 watt  8 inch wheel grinder for about £100. Are there better options?

I'd love to build one, or get an old one, but I've not got the time, much prefer to be working on the Landrover.

Thanks.

G.

I haven't considered a bench belt sander. Are they any good? I've a makita floor sander, loud, heavy, and great for eating floors level.

Would that sort of thing sharpen drill bits?

I'm amazed there isn't a cheap Chinese box shifter making half decent basic power tools like these, afterall they are very simple things.

If I had more time/money/less landrover projects I'd really consider starting up a company to design these and get them made.

Nah, Who am I kidding?

If I had more time and money I'd buy more landrover projects. 

• Haha 1

I was kitting out my workshop a few years ago and bought a Creusen. For sharpening tools, tidying bits up and generating sparks it has been great. The cheaper ones seem gutless and badly balanced. 

At the time, Cromwells and Axminster stocked them - not sure who does now. 

regards

Ian

• 6 months later...

I have a pretty old SIP 6" grinder. I think it has a 500W motor.
I would say it has sufficient power for sharpening drills and lathe tools. I'd expect 350W and under to be rather gutless for this purpose.

I have a cheapo Screwfix belt & disc sander that has a 350W motor, and that really is underpowered for anything more than pencil sharpening. I found a video on YouTube where a guy takes his Harbor Freight belt sander combo (near enough identical to mine - they're all Chinese built) and adds a much bigger motor with good results. I think the motor cost him 100 bucks, but he felt it was worth the time and effort