Bump and vibrate 300 tdi 90

It was all going so well...

1994 300tdi 90 rebuilt by someone else. Mine since September 2017.

A week or two ago I started to hear an occasional clank when power comes on. Didn't happen all the time. Couldn't feel it just sounded like something moving and reverberating through chassis or something. 

Then on Sunday on way home from long weekend on single track slow roads we got vibrations in 5th gear. Felt like driving on a rumble strip which stopped when I took my foot off the throttle.

Front prop shaft looks replaced. Out of gear wheels on the ground front prop shaft turns about 20 degrees by hand. None on rear shaft. Couldn't turn fwd shaft when in gear.

Today did more trials.  In 2nd gear high range. Dabbing on and off throttle the clanking was obvious every time.

Any suggestions what to look for or tests to find the source?

Thanks

Get it on the flat, out of gear, handbrake off and check for movement in the prop UJs. 

Ifyou don't feel any play move the car a bit and  try again, sometimes the broken bits of bearing sieze the joint up. There should be zero play in any joint.