200tdi cooling system not pressurising, no heat from heaters

Alright guys, having issues with my cooling system.  It seems to be loosing water with no obvious signs of leaks. When I open the bleedvalve on the radiator the level has gone down. The temperature sits perfect at half way but I’m not getting any heat from my heaters and the header tank doesn’t seem to be pressurising. The forward most pipe on the matrix is hot but the rear pipe is only luke warm

any ideas? I’m thinking head gasket but hoping not

Head gasket normally gives excessive pressure and staining around the blow off drain (all down the inner wing). First try swapping the heater pipes round as it sounds like it's filling from the top and not the bottom like it should be. I'd also replace the rad cap. Next have a good look at the radiator they tend to leak with no wet patch same with the water pump again look for staining or a small weep.

Mike

Cheers mike. I have noticed some coolant had come out of the cap and had run down the header tank. Replaced the cap with a spare one I had (Not new), no leaking now but still no pressure in the header tank. 

Will have a good look for leaks on the rad in the morning

Could be your thermostat, if faulty it won't allow the system to warm up. If the system doesn't warm up the water doesn't expand therefore not creating any pressure in the system. Even in these low temperatures it would struggle to get hot with the cold air around the engine. Although this of course doesn't allow for water loss.

Removed the thermostat today and heated in a saucepan. It did open fully but not sure at what temperature as I didn’t have a thermometer. Water looked to be pretty much boiling before it opened. The rad is getting hot so I assume it is operating properly. Also I have an electric fan that is thermostatically controlled (sensor in the top hose) rather than a viscous fan, and it is operating as it should

would a leaking header cap be enough to stop the heaters blowing hot air?

forgot to say, I refitted the thermostat 

Edited by DAN82SED
Forgot to say

You could be getting a bit of water loss from almost anywhere - cracked hose, loose hose clip, water pump gasket, leaking rad, leaking heater matrix, pitted top heater pipe.  You're not getting hot air as the water level has dropped lower than the heater pipes.  Top it up and you should get 'warm' air again. 

I’m hoping that it’s just going to be an air lock in the heater matrix  and the lack of pressure in the system is stopping it clearing. I’ve  going to PTFE (plumbers tap) the cap tomorrow and see if it makes any difference

thanks for the input guys, will update post after checking things tomorrow 

Just because your rad is getting hot doesn't mean your stat is working, as said refill the system if you slacken each heater hose in turn you can vent it by squeezing the rad hose or disconnect the pipes with the cap on and top up until full there reconnect and run up to temp ensuring that the rad pipe isn't warming slowly as the engine warms it should remain reasonably cool until the engine reaches temp and the stat opens.

There is definently no visible leaks but there is quite a lot of play on the water pump pulley and I was also getting some vibrations at 50mph under acceleration. I thought this was unrelated and it was a uj on the prop but after checking there is no play. Hopefully a new pump will give me heat again and cure the vibration issue

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Been slacking so only got around to looking at it today. Water pump had a lot of play but still working as it should. I removed the fixed metal pipe that bolts to the manifold and discovered it has crusted up with rust really bad! Swapped with a spare one I had but then got dragged down the pub so will have to wait til tomorrow to see if it’s fixed my heater issue. Also discovered that the bottom bolt for the alternator was loose so was probably the cause of water pump failure and vibration at high revs. Fingers crossed