Door leak

1992 Defender ex MOD

I have a leaky window/door (shock).   

I think I've located the issue. In the window channel the water seems to pool at the forward edge, this then overfills and runs down the door into the footwell. 

What would cause the blockage? 

I can see a hole for drainage in the channel, I've poked this and it seems clear. 

Thanks 

IMG_1838.JPG

Edited by 14Platoon

Your problem , and that of just about every Defender owner, is very nicely explained in this video.

A bit lengthy maybe but at around 10:00 he comes to the solution. The watch is worth every second and the fix is simple. Mind you, this chap has a ton of interesting video's on Land Rover repairs so it might take an evening of two to watch them all.

• Like 1

Assuming your doors are the same as my 1991 military, they are 2 piece with sliding glass.  The top window section is bolted onto the lower door section.  Between the two is a gasket which has 3 elongated slots about 1” long on the outside of the door, these let the water drain from the window channel to the outside of the door.  Make sure these are clear, backflush with a hose or fiddle a bit of wire to try and clear.  Else you may have to split the window from the door to clear away debris, it’s only a couple of studs but they will inevitably be seized and the sections stuck together.  There are a couple of old threads they may help you if you need to go that way.

Edited by Paddy
for clarity
  • Like 1

2 studs go through door into the window, the bottom nuts will be rusted on so go easy,  Either the nut will undo or stud will unscrew.  Odds on you'll need placements, coat with grease to future proof.  Go easy with the seal, original replacements are hard to find, after market ones are different and throw the window section out of alignment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

2 studs go through door into the window, the bottom nuts will be rusted on so go easy,  Either the nut will undo or stud will unscrew.  Odds on you'll need placements, coat with grease to future proof.  Go easy with the seal, original replacements are hard to find, after market ones are different and throw the window section out of alignment.

Good tips. 

Ill try to preserve the seal as I’m struggling to find a replacement already. I’ll order some bolts I think before stripping down! 

The old seals were flat and the seals fitted to the WOLF had a different profile, this much is true but both types fit perfectly well. When I can get back to my home PC I will dig out the part No for the wolf variety.

Looking at the picture of the genuine seal in the link, that is the later WOLF type with the external lip. As do the seals you currently have fitted

Then there are all the small pieces of moulded foam to prevent the water from migrating along the channel in the base of the seal.

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?query=mtc7549&xBrand=&part_type=&xSupplierID=&product-sort=&xPerPage=10

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?query=mtc7550&xBrand=&part_type=&xSupplierID=&product-sort=&xPerPage=10

Given the price differential it would be cheaper to simply buy the longer pieces and cut them down to size for the shorter pieces

Edited by neil110

5 hours ago, neil110 said:

The gaps should face outwards so the water is directed towards the outside. If there is a sharp lip on the outer part of the seal, that should be pointing upwards, in fact you can see it in your original picture

Nice one. My other door is exactly the opposite! 

• 4 months later...
On 3/11/2018 at 7:23 PM, AV8R said:

Your problem , and that of just about every Defender owner, is very nicely explained in this video.

A bit lengthy maybe but at around 10:00 he comes to the solution. The watch is worth every second and the fix is simple. Mind you, this chap has a ton of interesting video's on Land Rover repairs so it might take an evening of two to watch them all.

Just lost a good 2 hours of my working day having a look through this chap's videos! Plenty of good advice in there although i'm not sure about his anti-waxoyl stance.