Steering column to bulkhead brace - needed?

Seems the person I bought my bulkhead from had the idea removal of the bulkhead strap was faster with a grinder. 

So the metal bar here where it attaches to the bulkhead has been ground off on mine. Is it important ? Should I try and weld something back on ?

8895DA86-BCB2-43D3-BC62-2EE6C03B611B.thumb.jpeg.8ceedbdb00f89f942bd5605f9856e58c.jpeg

Personally I would say yes as there is only the 2 bolts holding it were it attaches to the footwell and I would imagine in time with the stress of turning the steering wheel frequently you would eventually damage the footwell possibly even tear it loose as it would act as a pivot point when turning .

cheers Ian 

Yes definately needed, I had to make one for my series when I fitted PAS as without the column vibrated badly.

would only take a couple of minutes to make something and weld it on. It can be pretty agricultural as it’s an area that never gets seen.....

The brackets are welded to the bulkhead and not available as a seperate item. Last year I had to make one as well. Seems there are more people thinking you can do without them. Not me though, it adds a lot of rigidity to the steering column. It is a bit of an awkward thingy to make as there are a few bends next to each other to match the contours of the bulkhead just above the vent opening. I ended up with bending two pieces sheetmetal with 90 ° bends, cut them to the proper dimensions and TIG weld them together so it would look like a factory bracket.

• 4 months later...

Got an arc welder and had a go but it was tricky to line up the weld line so tried Mig and I think it’s on. Second ever weld for me for both types. Apperantly practising is a thing but I’ll work on that later. :-).

F716014A-FDFE-4259-A5D9-06805579AF50.thumb.jpeg.4f91431e0126c88a7d7172f7994ddb68.jpeg

This is the arc.

318B1820-D997-4265-AE79-A972976C9D8C.thumb.jpeg.ceef307c6562d0092f255a4d1246769d.jpeg

This is the mig with some grinding.

It’s a little awkward to grind so it’s not totally flat.

BC321BD1-ADD5-4B55-B03D-FCF1FEAAFE96.thumb.jpeg.ab8610728f8e4940eee678ce43607a29.jpeg

just like in the picture (sort of).

C282124D-4A20-49CB-9E62-7483945DF5B5.thumb.jpeg.ca2f02b7ee6886248ed4f56ad1818ed9.jpeg

but it’s on and I think that will do.

• Like 1

I just repaired mine last week. It corroded away and one day went PING when I pulled myself into the van using the steering wheel, after which it squeaked like a bugger when in low revs. I was able to drill a hole through the back of the bracket (on the U) and bolt it to the repair section I usd to patch the bulkhead with an M14 bolt. Worked just fine, now squeak-free and solid.

• 3 weeks later...