Please some give me some good news

Hi all , I’ve had the day from hell, went to work before I even started at 6 I turned rough and walked straight into the wire feed unit and cut my head I thought the stars were out for a while then various other things went tits up and finally the last straw . I was sorting a clutch problem ( see another thread ) stripped it down old slave cylinder felt ok but thought no I’ll fit the new trw one , that’s when the problems started fitted the clip with the rod then the slave was very tight going in had to wind it in using the bolts and wiggle it about to get it in , tried bleeding the clutch the fluid started coming out of the drain hole in the bell housing took it apart and the rod has gone into the bell housing and I want to cry . So would I be able to get the gearbox back enough to let it drop out without taking the seat box out ? Please someone tell me I can not it’s a shower and some Guinness.

cheers Ian 

I'm on my second Have already took the props off and undone all the floor plates the new slave cylinder didn't feel rite when I put the actuator rod in and pushed it in , it stayed in were as the old one sprung back out . 

cheers Ian

I refitted the old slave cylinder Nick and all's well , the new one which was a TRW appeared to not have the spring behind piston so when the rod was pushed in it stayed there and the seal around the end was very , very tight going into the opening for it , had to wind it in using the bolts . Will take it apart next week and see what's up with it .

The SIII slaves didn't have return springs either.  My slave came off a Discovery Tdi.  I wonder if it was only Discoverys that had it, then, and not Defenders?  It'd just stop  a bit of release bearing chatter and reduce the pedal dead band a touch, but isn't essential.  Could be penny pinching by TRW in modern times, too.

Check the part number on the TRW slave - they all look the same across the models/engine types but some are slightly wider and only go in with force, which usually ends with the rubber seal being pulled back as it doesn't want to go in the  hole, popping the rod out. 

7 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

That’s what happened to me Eightpot  , part number was correct 591321g but it did say on the box that it was for defender up to 1990 , but the older one was snug but not to the point that I had to force it in .

That's the one I have used, the rubber boot just wiggles through the hole without coming of & my current one is a TRW item