West Scotland road trip

Keeper96

Hi guys 

I’m planning a road trip up the west side of Scotland and back down through the Cairngorms, camping 2-3 nights and staying with a friend for a couple of nights, 1 near the Isle of Skye and the other in Perth. 

On the list so far is to go to Loch Lomond, the Isle of Skye and Loch Ness. 

Does anyone know of any places to go and see on the general sort of route that I’m taking? 

P.s. I’m taking my Clio, not a landrover so I won’t be doing any off roading haha 

thanks 

The road up the West Coast has stunning scenery, just take your time to enjoy it.

The run along Loch Ness is also very pleasant. The A9 has average speed cameras from Inverness so you’ll find traffic can be quite slow and frustrating. I’d suggest peeling of the A9 north of Carrbridge and follow the old A9 (B9152) south through Carrbridge, Aviemore and at Kincraig, take a left to Loch Insch for a stop at the Boathouse for tea / lunch. On leaving the Boathouse, take a right, then another and join “the back road” to Kingussie.. then rejoin the B9152 through Newtonmore. From there, join the A9 and head south, turn off to go through Pitlochry / Blair Atholl if you fancy a meander.  

If it’s sunny, you won’t beat it!!

Edited by Fatboy

Thanks for the replies! 

I think the fairy pools are definitely a place to visit! 

I dont suppose you have any recommendations for good, fresh seafood places up there? 

J

Edited by Keeper96

I'd avoid Skye unless you like lots of people and especially places like the fairy pools where, by about 8am, the small car park is full and then the verges and passing places (single track road) are then filled with cars for roughly 1/4 of a mile each way. That's pretty much the case with all the "tourist attractions" on Skye, loads of people, loads of cars, nowhere to park up. 

Mull is a much nicer island these days and far less people on it because traffic on/off is controlled by the ferries, unlike Skye where there is no limit to the number of cars and coaches on the island at any given time.

We went off season, went to Mull first and loved the peace and tranquility as well as the views (when the mist finally lifted !) and there is a first rate camp site there where you can camp next to the sea and the beach. Even Tobermory was relatively quiet and easy to park up for free.  After a few days on Mull we went to Skye... and wished we'd stayed on Mull. People and cars everywhere, camp site heaving and barely any room, single track roads blocked by people abandoning cars. I hate to think what it gets like during peak season !

I took a trailer up to Skye from Ayr on Monday to collect a car from my brother. The traffic in either direction was fairly light and yes it was a wonderful drive and I thouroughly enjoyed the drive in my Disco. As said above take the time and enjoy the view there is lots to see. I took the road down through Glen Coe but the route through Oban is well worth taking as I did that a few years ago when my Wife, (Then girlfriend) wanted to see Loch Ness.

I’ve been through Oban etc in the past when I used to live in Scotland but I still haven’t glen coe and the Cairngorms does have a special hold over me. 

The rough plan so far is from Newcastle to Loch Lomond, up to the ferry and over to mull, back to the mainland and a drive into Skye, stay my friend at reay Forrest, over to Loch Ness and then down through the Cairngorms via avienmore etc. Into Perth to see another friend and then back back home