what residue is this

ianmayco68

Hi all , started stripping the engine down in my 300tdi rebuild and when I removed the head I found this residue in the water galleries and next to the valves 

SAM_1391.thumb.JPG.ce0431e14ca8fc935c7bb504301ac0eb.JPGSAM_1392.thumb.JPG.d4d3997ac7e2a275a0ec690872f1c004.JPGSAM_1393.thumb.JPG.e39a77362a395f74fe1d9262e429c7b6.JPGSAM_1394.thumb.JPG.ee2b7a361586e18b2c305a3c80e7694e.JPG

what is it ? It has stood for 12 months , but it was quite worrying how blocked the openings were . I will say it wasn't my truck I acquired it to rebuild it was also very black in the block looks like the oil wasn't changed to often 

SAM_1395.thumb.JPG.feb1ba91ff07ff32049349cec58297a5.JPG

Also any one know the best way to clean all the galleries out ? Or would it be better taking it to a rebuilders and getting them to flush it out ? The head will go and be pressure tested and skimmed but I'll rebuild the engine myself ?

cheers Ian

The white gunk is aluminium corrosion it's where it's sat with water with little or no antifreeze in it. It should just wash out but you will see some pitting left afterwards. It shouldn't be a problem unless it's got really bad pitting.

Mike

It was the stepsons truck before I acquired it and it never leaked coolant and he had it for 3 years , never checked it neither by the look of it as there didn’t look like there was much coolant in it when I drained it . I would have thought that egg would go hard when the water got hot , this was a paste and even though the engine hasn’t been run for a year it was still a soft paste looked like icing before you put it on your cake .

cheers Ian 

• 3 months later...

Head gasket appature edges (rusting)... as the apertures in the gasket get a bit rusty and as the rust "grows" it eventually touches the alu and sets up a galvanic cell so you get local corrosion in the area's the steel bits touch, that appears to be a common thing on 200tdi heads you get pitting in the head due to a redundant water way gasket lip corroding then touching the alu of the head.