Squeaking Brakes!

Whenever my front pads onthe 110 get around 1/3 to 1/2 worn, the squeak almost continuously. Its driving me mad. I fitted some ebc anti squeal pads yesterday and adjusted the wheel bearings. Theyre worse if that’s possible. 

Any solutions to this? The pads are genuine LR but had it with Delphi and Mintex. The calipers are in good condition, with stainless pistons that move freely. 

Maybe discs are worn, and pistons are coming out a long way. Try cutting the anti squeal shim . Of the 2 pistons on each side, cut the squeal pad so it only covers the upper( trailing edge) piston . That way when you apply the brakes, the trailing edge hits the disc just before the leading edge, sort of heel then toe, and it stops the squeel ( high frequency vibration). . Do this on both sides of each calliper. 

On the rear, cut the pad so it only covers the upper half of the piston. Stops rear brake squeal this way.

Edited by Yostumpy

Ferodo have a.good rep for not squealing and I have had no problem with them. I used ebc but on 2 pads the lining detached from the backing, and thats twice too often for me.The ebc if green stuff you have to condition. It sounds like you have some sort of disc contamination as the ebc pads have an abrasive start coating to clean up discs.

• 2 years later...
On 8/6/2018 at 4:31 PM, reb78 said:

Whenever my front pads onthe 110 get around 1/3 to 1/2 worn, the squeak almost continuously. Its driving me mad. I fitted some ebc anti squeal pads yesterday and adjusted the wheel bearings. Theyre worse if that’s possible. 

Any solutions to this? The pads are genuine LR but had it with Delphi and Mintex. The calipers are in good condition, with stainless pistons that move freely. 

Are you sure it is brake squeal? In my experience and knowledge the squeal isn't the pad on disc contact. But rather it is the back of the pad vibrating very fast against the piston/calliper. Correctly fitted shims/springs and something like copper slip should solve this. Assuming the pads are the correct ones for the calliper and there is nothing causing them to not fit or sit correctly.