Rubber grommets - better options

roamingyak

Hi,
I find the standard rubber grommets on offer in the UK a bit rubbish, they degrade and fall through the holes, offer minimal protection and so forth.
Wondering if there are more encompassing, better protected products or ways to pass wires through metal?
I have quite a lot to fix up so keento do it once well 😉 

grommits.jpg

On 8/17/2018 at 12:09 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Probably depends where you're buying them - cheap ones could be made of any old junk. Cable glands might be a more robust if more fiddly option.

23 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Cable glands would be the best bet... but they're fiddly and can be quite bulky.

Thanks, cable glands look good for the bigger wires I'm worried about, thanks again...
For others, here are some to buy in the UK and the video link below shows some installed...

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/cables-wires/cable-glands-strain-relief-grommets/cable-glands/

On 8/20/2018 at 3:29 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Only issue with marine stuff is stainless screws in aluminium bodywork = galvanic corrosion. Well, that and the vast expense as son as you put "marine" in front of anything.

Thanks, I have some Duralac Green - or can just use glue/silicone or something, will assess when it arrives...
I found something smilier to that above, but only £25 which is a small price to avoid a fire of my beloved in the desert 😉
Will update with pictures when in place ;)

19 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Jon - what benefit in fancy cable glands? It's not like you're going to hermetically seal a Defender cab, main thing is wires not chafing on an edge.

Look neat and tidy, compared to a tatty old grommit... That said a split grommit would probably do the same job...

I do actually get a fair draught from behind the instruments at full chat on the motorway... 

32 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Jon - what benefit in fancy cable glands? It's not like you're going to hermetically seal a Defender cab, main thing is wires not chafing on an edge.

I see it that they won't unknowingly fail - rubber will 'pop out' and exposes the wires due to poor install, ageing, vibrations etc

57 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

In a properly sized hole a rubber grommet shouldn't pop out. You can always cut a larger/fatter grommet and superglue it together to fit a certain hole-size, like those universal O-Ring kits.

Having reviewed all of my wiring its obvious that over time they fail, the rubber degrades, corrugations and the weight of the cables push them downwards it seems, at least on my landy. No comment on the holes being the right size or mechanics fitting them well! 😉 
Anyway, for me its a worth whilst investment, £100 and now none of my wires will burn my Landy to the ground in the middle of the Sahara, others milage will vary widely.... ;) 
Example of what I found below...

wiringrepairs.jpeg