1998 110 csw rear centre shock leaking

HI

I have recently bought a 1998 110 csw and i notice that the rear centre shock in the A frame is leaking, is this the correct name for it as I cannot find any references to it on the web anywhere and was looking for a replacement it has a large circular reservoir at one end 

thanks

will

Edited by selectcase

Certainly sounds like the self leveller.

Not serviceable and not available new.

Best bet is to remove it and replace the rear springs with a higher rating, from another model.

@western should be able to recommend which one, as I know he has done it.

Yes, it's the Boge self-levelling unit.  Don't try to fix it - it has gas inside at huge pressure!  Don't give up, though.  The one in my 110 still works fine and I got one off a Range Rover chassis which also worked.  They stopped making them yonks ago but you should be able to get a second hand one that works.  Soooo much better than heavy duty springs which only ride nicely when you are heavily loaded!  Plus, heavy weight springs in the back give that ugly tail-high look when lightly loaded.

An alternative is to use air assist springs which goes inside the rear coils.  I have seen them and they make sense but there must be a problem 'cos no one ever talks about them...

Edited by deep
spelling

if you want to remove the Boge strut, Td5 110 station wagon rear springs would be a good standard parts replacement, the existing springs are far softer as the boge strut does most of the load levelling work, I tried my 110 without the strut but kept the existing springs , the ride was ok but taking bends was it felt way to soft & uncontrolled, they got swapped out very quickly for O.M.E springs.

great thanks

the vehicle is new to me and has bright yellow springs all round(probably britpart), I am not sure if it has a 2" lift or not so will need to check -I did notice it wallows around corners at reasonable speed (40mph+) on the drive home after purchase so I will probably check the ride height and check out my options.. I will probably go the hd rear spring route tbh

thanks

will