Wide angle prop flange yoke

Jamie_grieve

I need to make a bunch of propshafts for my 6x6 build, where can I get these or equivalent wide angled flange yokes in the UK? These are 1310 but there are 1350 and 1410 yokes with the same bolt pattern that would work as well. Any info much appreciated.

I just got my time wasted by some guy on ebay for the last two months so would prefer first hand experience of a decent supplier.

Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 18.05.31.png

3 hours ago, muddy said:

Dunning and Fairbanks in Leeds. If they can’t get it it probably doesn’t exist.

Curiously I've already used them to make a shaft in the past, I wonder why I didn't manage to think of that myself!!

I went on to break that shaft about two years later and when I called them for a new bit they were very apologetic that it broke despite me telling them I smashed it on a rock.

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions but I need 6 shafts so was just going to knock them up myself. We get conned in the land rover world by having especially short travel joints, I don't think I've come across any UJ in any application with less travel. . The actual UJ is the same in a wide angle joint, it's just the yokes that are different. They won't actually see much load at significant angles as when the axle is hanging, it's light, it's more to avoid any binding.

CV joints would be better as I've got some compound angles happening and flanges coming out of parallel. Has anybody successfully used a cv joint from something in a propshaft?

I hate to bang on the Toyota drum but they have 35º as standard, It would be cheaper to modify Toyota shafts and make Toyota compatible diff flanges than buy 6 props. 

I need to conjure up some flanged centre bearings too. I made the thing below from bits of old transfer cases but I couldn't weld the halves together as there's so much oil in the aluminium it's like welding an oily sponge, soaking it in acetone achieved nothing at all. Any suggestions for a really short centre bearing? I'm wondering about using a cv joint and hub from something now, are there any useful bits in a free lander or later independent stuff with handy splines you can put a flange on?

IMG_0042.jpg

20 hours ago, Jamie_grieve said:

Curiously I've already used them to make a shaft in the past, I wonder why I didn't manage to think of that myself!!

I went on to break that shaft about two years later and when I called them for a new bit they were very apologetic that it broke despite me telling them I smashed it on a rock.

Thanks.

They saved me hundreds if not thousands when they got me just cups and rollers for my Unimog halfshafts. as you say they are nice people.

The CV jointed shaft I had made used an SD1 joint at each end which didnt work very well. This was changed to UJ at the diff end and still didnt work!! As you have already pointed out the Toyota double hooks joint, this was welded in, balanced and worked brilliantly so much so I had a spare made which is under another V890 now. They are greasable (including the centre bearing) and, so far I believe, indestructable! The flange bolt PCD needed altering slightly to fit the Landrover PCD, but was easy to do.

Toby

Revisiting the centre bearing idea, as it's an intrinsic part of the whole thing to minimise as much as possible the propshaft angles. 

Does anybody know if the UJ in a series front axle is compatible with any of the propshaft UJ's? I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to make a bearing housing using the back of a pinion flange to hold one of the bearings as with my original design using transfer box bits. I've chucked all my series stuff out in the dim and distant past as I never saw anything useful in a series axle, kinda regretting it now.

Alternatively, using a CV joint in a similar way could work as well, and if I could find matching CV joints that would work even better.

There are loads of cars listed in various cv joint catalogues as having 24 spline cv's or shafts, does anybody know if any share the same diameter as the landy ones? I have no idea if it's somehow a standard size?

Screenshot 2018-12-15 at 22.58.50.png

Screenshot 2018-12-15 at 23.01.05.png

• 3 weeks later...

Re your centre bearing idea, a lot of cars have unequal length driveshafts, with a relatively small support bearing, and a CV on one end. Should be plenty strong enough as  they are after the final drive rather than before. But it's finding one that fits in that would be the problem